• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maternity Benefits for New Employee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crysinsf

I live in California. I just found out I am pregnant. I want to switch jobs, but I'm worried about losing state and federal maternity benefits, as I will give birth before the 1 year mark. (The company I work for does not offer more than what is required.) If I do leave, what maternity leave benefits will I be entitled to at a new company including: amount of time, paid leave, job security. Thanks!

tranquility

Pretty much none. Paid leave is never something you get outside contract and FMLA covers you after a year. You get disability leave protections if you become disabled through the pregnancy. But, CFRA leave follows almost the same rules as FMLA so you would not be eligible for that.

tranquility

Not for bonding and the like, but for pregnancy related disability. And, by "job protection" not at all. (Unless you are being fired for being pregnant.)

TigerD

Bear in mind - it is also extremely unlikely that another company will hire you if they know you are pregnant.

DC

ecmst12

If she just found out, then no one will be able to tell by looking at her. So unless she tells them, they won't know.

ecmst12

And of course, it's illegal to refuse to hire someone just because they are pregnant. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but it's still illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">