• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Min. hours per week for health benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dannybarcelona

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi - I may have the opportunity to cut back my work week, i was wondering what the lowest number of hours i can work and still legally have the company pay for health insurance.

ages ago I had a job working for Starbucks, and one of the reasons many of the part-time workers were there was for the health benefits. My memory may be rusty but I think you only had to work 20 hours a week and Starbucks paid for the health insurance.

Or is there no set limit? Could I arrange to work a 3 day week and have the company pay benefits?

thanks!

danny

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is not a legal question. No law requires an employer in NY (or any other state except Hawaii) to pay for benefits at all. Whether they will pay for part time workers and if so, how many hours the employee must work to be included is solely up to the company and/or the plan document.

You cannot "arrange" for the company to pay benefits. If the plan document allows for employees who work three days a week to get benefits you will get them; if it doesn't you won't. Simple as that.

Beth3

danny, group health plan documents/insurance contracts specify how many hours per week an employee must work to be eligible for group health benefits. That number could be anything but the most common are 30, 35, or 40. It depends entirely on what your employer decided when they put their present insurance plan in place.

In other words, nobody but your employer can answer the question. You need to either look at your insurance booklet or ask someone in HR/benefits how many hours an employee must regularly work per week to participate in the group health plan.

D

dannybarcelona

thanks!

thanks for the info - I'll check the group plan.

- danny

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">