+ Reply to Thread
    dannybarcelona Guest

Min. hours per week for health benefits

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi - I may have the opportunity to cut back my work week, i was wondering what the lowest number of hours i can work and still legally have the company pay for health insurance.

ages ago I had a job working for Starbucks, and one of the reasons many of the part-time workers were there was for the health benefits. My memory may be rusty but I think you only had to work 20 hours a week and Starbucks paid for the health insurance.

Or is there no set limit? Could I arrange to work a 3 day week and have the company pay benefits?

thanks!

danny
    cbg
    cbg is offline Senior Member
    This is not a legal question. No law requires an employer in NY (or any other state except Hawaii) to pay for benefits at all. Whether they will pay for part time workers and if so, how many hours the employee must work to be included is solely up to the company and/or the plan document.

You cannot "arrange" for the company to pay benefits. If the plan document allows for employees who work three days a week to get benefits you will get them; if it doesn't you won't. Simple as that.
    Beth3 is offline Senior Member
    danny, group health plan documents/insurance contracts specify how many hours per week an employee must work to be eligible for group health benefits. That number could be anything but the most common are 30, 35, or 40. It depends entirely on what your employer decided when they put their present insurance plan in place.

In other words, nobody but your employer can answer the question. You need to either look at your insurance booklet or ask someone in HR/benefits how many hours an employee must regularly work per week to participate in the group health plan.
    dannybarcelona Guest

thanks!

thanks for the info - I'll check the group plan.

- danny