• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New paid sick leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Malevolentous

California.
I do contract work for a construction company inside the l.a. refineries. Yes they take out taxes and give us full benefits. I started in Aug 2014.
Starting this year there was a new law that started where every 30 hours you worked you gained 1 hour of paid sick time.
(A little back story) in Feb 2015, a new PTO (paid time off) system was placed. The PTO system cancels out sick leave. Before that was regular Vacation time. In July of 2015, union members were switched back to the regular vacation time. Now we are in 2016 and i have been not accruing any sick time. When I went and asked HR about why we aren't accruing anything, they just simply said "oh we don't do that."

Isn't it illegal since it is the law to provide us with sick time now?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
California.
I do contract work for a construction company inside the l.a. refineries. Yes they take out taxes and give us full benefits. I started in Aug 2014.
Starting this year there was a new law that started where every 30 hours you worked you gained 1 hour of paid sick time.
(A little back story) in Feb 2015, a new PTO (paid time off) system was placed. The PTO system cancels out sick leave. Before that was regular Vacation time. In July of 2015, union members were switched back to the regular vacation time. Now we are in 2016 and i have been not accruing any sick time. When I went and asked HR about why we aren't accruing anything, they just simply said "oh we don't do that."

Isn't it illegal since it is the law to provide us with sick time now?
It's possible (and perfectly legal) for a properly set up vacation or PTO policy to be used in place of a specific "sick leave" policy.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In most places that have a PTO plan, the same bank of leave covers vacation and sick time both. As long as they accrue in the manner required by law, they're covered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">