• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NV Electronic Communications Intercept Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wordsmithworker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pertains to Nevada law.

First, I apologize for the odd category choice; there is none within this division for independent contractors.

Although it's been quite some time since I've conducted basic, layman research on Nevada's statutes regarding electronic communication surveillance, I recall that what I read pertained only to employees and employers.

What do Nevada laws dictate regarding independent contractors and clientele?

Scenario: A brokerage site that acts basically as an intermediary and takes a commission from completed work offers a communication system on the website between independent contractors--freelancers--and clients. The system already has a program in place to block such things as contact information and email addresses, for outside communication is barred by the Terms of Service (ToS) for the clients and by the ToS for the contractors.

I understand that employers are able to monitor electronic communication from and to employees, but can the third-party, non-employer-to-either, intercept and hold messages, especially with no notification of interference in either ToS or in the site's Privacy Policy?

The site in question not only intercepts and holds communication but manually reads each before approving for release with or without noting "Edited by Administrator (date - time)" in the released communication. Delays range from minutes to over 10 hours before delivery.

At one point, a site authority interjected herself in a client-contractor discussion and addressed noted comments in an email to the contractor, although the content of the on-system communications did not appear to be changed.

None of the client-contractor communications is attempting to send contact information or otherwise violate either ToS.

swalsh411

The source is that there is no law that they cannot do these things you are describing.

If you feel that these "intercepts" are in violation of a contract you may have with them or they are cheating you out of money, you can sue them. (or stop working for them)

wordsmithworker

Okay. That covers that base. One more, please: Does "industry standard" regarding employee/employer notification best practices apply in any way?

wordsmithworker

Sorry, insurance adjustor, but I finally received a response from my attorney; he disagrees with a few of your opinions.

Have a good day.

swalsh411

Ask him to tell you specifically what law or precedent support his position that they aren't allowed to do it.

ecmst12

If your lawyer thinks he can get you some money, more power to him. It would be "go away" money, not anything you'd be likely to get awarded in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">