• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is the offered health insurance formulary a binding contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Robmoo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My employer has Prascion, a facial wash I use for my Rosacea on the medication formulary. According to our pharmacy Maxor refuses to cover Prascion because it is among the FDA disapproved medications. When I signed up for benefits for this year it was on the list. Is my employer obligated to cover this medication as spelled out in the benefit package? If they refuse to cover it do I have a case under the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act either against my employer or Maxor? I'd prefer not to sue my employer and "poison the well" so to speak. Prascion has kept my Rosacea under control for over a decade and I want to keep it that way.

Thank you!

Robert

FlyingRon

You've lost me. The FDA disproved Prascion how?

Almost certainly your terms of insurance coverage allow them to change the formulary list. In some cases, you can appeal to the insurer (with your doctor's support) as to why this drug is better necessary for you rather than whatever they would want off the preferred list (or an OTC substitute).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No and no. Formularies can and do change; they generally change every year; the fact that it was on the formulary initially does not create a contractual guarantee that it will be on the formulary forever.

ecmst12

That product can't be legally prescribed or sold in the US. Why would you think there was even a chance that your insurance would cover it?

Robmoo

That product can't be legally prescribed or sold in the US. Why would you think there was even a chance that your insurance would cover it?
Because they have been for the last 10 years.

Apparently the FDA has been reviewing older medication to see if they meet modern standards for proof of efficacy. If the medication doesn't they add it to a "disapproved" list. Roscacea sufferers have a higher than normal bacteria count. The anti-bacterial facial cleanser helps with this and reduces the symptoms. Evidently when the medication was initially brought to market and approved the standard of proof was lower than current standards.

Last edited:

Proserpina

Because they have been for the last 10 years.

Apparently the FDA has been reviewing older medication to see if they meet modern standards for proof of efficacy. If the medication doesn't they add it to a "disapproved" list. Roscacea sufferers have a higher than normal bacteria count. The anti-bacterial facial cleanser helps with this and reduces the symptoms. Evidently when the medication was initially brought to market and approved the standard of proof was lower than current standards.

A medication/device is either FDA-approved, or it's not.

Read: http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/Transparency/Basics/ucm213030.htm

Dave1952

Have your physician prescribe a new product for your rosacea. One that's listed in the current formulary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">