• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pension eligibility based on company purchased

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LaurieDSalem

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? U.S. law, I believe / Arizona local office

My large employer bought out several companies - my employer was purchased a few years ago. The employer has a pension plan, but excludes employees that came from specific purchased companies, including mine (Company B). So I could spend the next 20 years and still not be eligible for any type of pension, although a co-worker may have come from Company D and be eligible for their pension?

If this is correct, would an employee need to quit and be re-hired to be eligible for their pension plan? Employment laws are quite unbelievably biased in favor of employers, but this seems so discriminatory.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"Legacy employees of Company B" are not a protected class under the law; therefore, it is not illegal discrimination.

As to whether quitting and being rehired would make you eligible for the pension, only someone who has read the pension plan in its entirety could answer that.

The employer would have no legal obligation to rehire you if you did quit - you understand that, yes?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">