• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pension Fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NannersJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My friend worked at a small business (5-10 ee's) for over 25 yrs. The owner, his boss was a good friend since high school. In 1997, the owner told my friend that he would enroll him in a pension plan and that he (the owner) would contribute to it monthly. My friend did not receive any documentation about the plan - no summary, no information at anytime during his employment or afterward. What he did receive were annual reports once a year (1 page) from a Universal Life Insurance where he was named the insured and the owner's company as the policy holder.

My friend was told that this was a life insurance/pension plan and that he would have an account where his retirment would grow.

In 2004, the owner told my friend that the premiums were getting too high and he was not sure if he could continue to pay them - end of conversation.

My friend did not think much of it because the owner did not bring it up again and did not say anything about ending the contributions, cancellation, etc. In addition, my friend did not receive any notices to indicate any change. His boss continued to say things such as "you have your pension plan so you have security -- you'll be taken care of"

Last year, Sept 2011, the owner told my friend that he could not afford to keep him - he is costing him too much money. He told him he must lay him off and gave him his final check and told him to leave.

My friend was in shock and left forgetting to ask about information or paperwork on his pension plan and continued health insurance for himself & his family. He waited and waited and to this date he has not received any paperwork on his pension plan. He never received COBRA forms (his wife had to deal directly with the health insurance for a month to get the forms and miraculously were still eligible for COBRA even though almost 3 months had gone by).

Question:
What rights does my friend have in regards to access to the life insurance pay out since he was the insured and not policyowner?

What if there are no funds remaining or if the owner refuses to pay out whatever funds allowable to my friend?

Since the owner misrepresented the insurance plan as a pension plan and did not give my friend any documents defining the plan or notifications of any changes - are there any complaints my friend can file against his boss?

What are the proper steps that my friend can take to remedy this situation?

Thank you! Sorry for the long explanation.
NannersJWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

davew128

Your friend had the right to insurance to cover his death if he died while the policy was in force. That's it.

It was a life insurance plan. Thats all it ever was.

Beth3

A Universal Life Insurance policy is part investment, part life insurance benefit. Part of the premiums that are paid go into an investment portfolio. (In other words, this is more than just term life insurance, which is a straight death benefit.)

Universal life isn't a pension plan but likely eventually pays an annuity to the policy holder. What I don't know is what happens when the premiums stop being paid. (This is not my area of expertise.) I have no idea if there was a cash value at that point, whether the owner "took the money and ran" or if there was an insufficent amount contributed so that there was no payout due. Or, lastly, whether the investment is still sitting there making earnings.

Your friend may want to speak to an attorney to see what to do next.

Last edited:

NannersJ

Thank you, Beth. This is what I thought, but I wanted to confirm and also see if this universal life insurance was considered a pension plan (like a 401k or 403b) and if there were any laws about it's distibution to the insured. I guess a lawyer is the next step.

One last question - do you know if there is a penalty for employers that do not provide COBRA notification and how much time they have to do that?
I have been looking and I cannot find the answer.

Thank you so much!
Nancy

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, there is a penalty for employers who do not provide timely COBRA information (they have 44 days from the end of coverage), assuming that they are liable to do so in the first place. If there are only 5-10 employees, Federal COBRA does not apply.

I am not where I can look to see if there is a state version and if so, what the time frame is for that.

CAemploymentlaw

Your friend should talk to an employment lawyer on a possible fraud and/or breach of contract claim on this whole scenario. Something is very wrong here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">