• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pre-existing condition?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

letstalk

Rhode Island. I have been working in the same company for over 10 years. Three years ago, I was diagnosed and treated for breast cancer. It was detected early so I didnt' need chemo or radiation. Hopefully that is behind me, however....

I am beginning to interview for other jobs. If I do get another position and if I did get a recurrence of breast cancer, is it possible my new insurance may not cover me, as it was pre-existing? How can I find out before I accept another job as it is not a topic one likes to disclose up front? Last week, one of my interviews was at an insurance company, and this issue came up (not with me) but I'm not sure how to handle this and I definitely don't want to change jobs and not be covered for any future problems I may have.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As long as you go from one employer sponsored group plan to another employer sponsored group plan, and as long as there is not a gap in coverage between the two of 63 days or more, then under Federal law the new carrier cannot consider your condition pre-existing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">