• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Previous employer requesting I pay back overpayment of pension plan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

schmoozer11

I live in Morgantown, WV - worked for this employer in Collegeville, PA

I quit working at this company in August, 2008 and started with my present employer later that month. The previous employer continued to pay me every two weeks after I quit for a couple of months. I alerted them to this and paid back those overpayments. This created a mess for tax purposes and a headache all around. Fast forward to yesterday and now I am told I owe them ~$500 to the cash balance pension plan since they overpaid me when I cashed out. I assume this is due to them continuing to pay me for a month or tow with extra contributions to the cash pension plan, but they provide no documentation. I called their HR center today and they have no record of this. I know its legit since the letter talks about the overpayments, but this was 3.5 years ago that I cashed out.

My plan is to request a detailed summary of where they think the overpayment was from, but in the end I assume I am legally responsible to pay this back? Can I request to send it in over a time period? I could pay it all at once, but that puts me a little tight since I have a small getaway coming up and our family vacation in a little over a month. I swore off credit cards years ago so we pay for everything in cash. I don't want to use a portion of my vacation savings to pay this back.

thoughts?

swalsh411

I wouldn't pay a dime until they have provided you sufficient documentation of what you owe back. As far as how long you take to repay it, they are basically at your mercy unless they decide to sue. (which I highly doubt they would over $500 as it would not be worth the effort)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">