• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Promotion Rescinded

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

Hello, a few years ago I applied for an assistant manager position for a company and was offered the job (at their number one store in sales nationwide) without a college degree, solely based on my experience in the industry. At the last minute I respectfully declined so that I could instead go to college full-time.

Once I finished college, last July, I applied again for the position (at a different store, without telling them about the offer I received before I started college). I was offered a job, but with a catch: that I start off as a department manager and, after 90 days, we re-evaluate my performance and the position. I accepted and moved (3 hours away) for the opportunity.

I made it very clear in the interview that my intention is to earn a store of my own and that as an assistant manager I am looking to learn how specifically the company runs in order to prepare myself for this.

A month into my new job as a department manager the store manager tells me in his office that he made his mind up, that he is in fact giving me the position and that he is going to begin training me in the next few weeks.

One month after announcing this he rescinds the offer by simply saying, "I've decided that I don't want an assistant manager"

Now I am stuck at this location for at least 18 months. The district manager said that she wants me to stay a department manager for at least this long before they'll consider me as an assistant manager. Another 18 months as an assistant manager and they'll consider me for a store of my own.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

You don't have an issue here that will require the services of an attorney. That is unless you have a contract, which from what you posted, it does not appear to be so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">