• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proper venue for suit over severence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yeut47

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I was recently laid off from my job in Cuyahoga County, Ohio due to my company shutting down the office. I was eligible for a severance package, which I accepted. I completed all appropriate paperwork in a timely manner, but for whatever reason, the company is refusing to pay.

There is a clause on the severance document that all claims must be filed in Harris County, Texas, where the corporate office is located.

Even though this clause is included, can I file suit in Cuyahoga County, Ohio? Or do I actually need to go to Texas to get what I am owed?

(1. The company is still in business, with main offices in Harris Co, Tx. 2. There are no longer any offices open in Ohio. 3. I have only worked for the company in Ohio... Never traveled for them to Texas. 4. The company is still registered as an active business with the Ohio Secretary of State.)

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I was recently laid off from my job in Cuyahoga County, Ohio due to my company shutting down the office. I was eligible for a severance package, which I accepted. I completed all appropriate paperwork in a timely manner, but for whatever reason, the company is refusing to pay.

There is a clause on the severance document that all claims must be filed in Harris County, Texas, where the corporate office is located.

Even though this clause is included, can I file suit in Cuyahoga County, Ohio? Or do I actually need to go to Texas to get what I am owed?

(1. The company is still in business, with main offices in Harris Co, Tx. 2. There are no longer any offices open in Ohio. 3. I have only worked for the company in Ohio... Never traveled for them to Texas. 4. The company is still registered as an active business with the Ohio Secretary of State.)
As you have stated, the severance documents indicate the venue in which you must file, and that venue was agreed upon when you submitted your paperwork.

Businesses do this all the time. They may conduct business in one location and dictate that any legal action must take place where their corporate/main offices are located - often in another county or state.

Looks like you'll need to go to Texas if you need to pursue legal action in this matter. I would suggest consulting with an employment attorney in Texas to see what will be involved and how much it might cost you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">