• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PTO/Vacation Equity Among Employees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cezzium

MN - Can someone please advise me about where to look for information about benefit equity for employees.

I am interested to know if an employer, with defined employee classes offer one employee in a certain class additional benefits. The benefit is additional vacation time (roughly 3 weeks). This is not sick time or time to care for a child or sick relative, but vacation time.

thanks for any help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I should be clear this is after they were hired. Not before. No difference?
Your original question wasn't clear in the first place.

It is legal for an employer to offer different levels of vacation benefits to different employees. That should cover your question.

eerelations

There are no laws whatsoever governing the granting of vacation time or paid time off. Ergo, there are no laws the granting of vacation time or paid time off after hire.

Beth3

MN - Can someone please advise me about where to look for information about benefit equity for employees.

I am interested to know if an employer, with defined employee classes offer one employee in a certain class additional benefits. The benefit is additional vacation time (roughly 3 weeks). This is not sick time or time to care for a child or sick relative, but vacation time.

thanks for any help.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
It is perfectly legal to offer one employee more vacation than another and it happens frequently. If I'm hiring someone that has been in the workforce for 30 years (for example), I'm very likely to offer him or her more vacation than someone who's only been in the workforce for 5 or 10 years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">