• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

questions about sick leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cetiya

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? wa

so they gave us sick leave this year but has some crazy restrictions on it, just wondering if that's the way it is or are they conning me? first I found out even though I have 90 hours of sick leave, we have to be sick three days in a row with a doctors note. ok, fine. but I just went on an emergency fmla and HR told me I can only use 72 hours a year. so I had to come back to work earlier than I should have. is this really the way sick leave works, or can the employers make any rules they want? oh, one more question. do I have the right to HIPAA? I think my boss will ask me why I was gone but id rather they didn't know. my doctor wrote health conditions as my diagonosis to be vague. the company who handles this does know the truth and they said they would not put the diagnosis on any paperwork.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In most places, employers can put pretty much any rules they want. But nothing you have posted is unusual in any way.

HIPAA restricts who can give out information on your medical information and who they can give it to. HIPAA in no way restricts your employer from asking you questions. HIPAA is not anywhere near as broad as many people believe.

cetiya

My boss may ask, but am i obligated to tell them? I work in a hospital so maybe my boss wont press me for specifics due to my right to privacy healthwise?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just so that I'm clear, exactly what is it that you think your boss is going to ask you, that you don't want to tell him? You could be cutting yourself off from legal protections you could otherwise be entitled to if you withhold too much information.

cetiya

Just so that I'm clear, exactly what is it that you think your boss is going to ask you, that you don't want to tell him? You could be cutting yourself off from legal protections you could otherwise be entitled to if you withhold too much information.
id rather they didn't know it was due to a triggering of PTSD and anxiety. the company handling the fmla paperwork does know.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whoever is responsible for designating time as FMLA has to know. Your boss has to know that the time off is attributable to FMLA, but unless he is also the FMLA-designator, he does not have to know the diagnosis.

justalayman

Yoi are allowed up to 12 weeks per year for FMLA leave. The leave itself is unpaid although if you have PTO, short or long term disability pay you may be able to obtain compensation through those avenues.

You do not have to return to work earlier than the date the doctor releases you to return to work. You can use the full legally allotted time if necessary without risk of retribution by your employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">