• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received overpayment notice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eyesfocus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

Hello,

I receieved unemployment benefits for the past 6 weeks. Well, for the past 5 weeks actually and then receieved a notice that my employer appealed my benefits. Since I have no evidence to fight back with, I stopped filing.

And now I got what I expected, my overpayment notice. It isn't much....$535 only. My question is....since I can't pay it in full AT THIS MOMENT...do they usually allow payment plans? I won't be prosecuted will I?

I applied for benefits after I was fired from my last job. I was given advice to apply for benefits anyway in which I did, and was approved. And now it's being reversed. It was an innocent misunderstanding on my part...I didn't purposely try to fraud the system.

commentator

Excuse me, but are you saying you filed for benefits after being fired, about six weeks ago, and received something (a decision letter?)that started you receiving unemployment immediately? Why did you tell them you were applying? Did you tell them you were fired or laid off? How long ago has this been?

If you filed for benefits and said you were laid off due to lack of work, and they began paying you, then checked with your employer, who said, "No, in fact this employee was fired," then they would have stopped your benefits and begun an investigation at once.

But at some point during this investigation, before you were declared overpaid, someone with unemployment has surely talked to you about the reason you were fired, right? You were given a decision originally saying what?

What do you mean you have no evidence to fight them? You have what happened to you, in your own words, and this is the evidence you need to file an appeal. If you have not done this already, DO IT IMMEDIATELY. You must file the appeal within 15 days of receiving the notice of denial. If the employer did not show that they had a valid misconduct reason to fire you, and you began receiving benefits to begin with, and then you received notice that the employer had appealed, (and the claim is now denied?) then why in the heck not participate in the appeals process and present your reason why you were fired, and fight the appeal? You have nothing to lose but a small amount of your time, and there may be a chance you will NOT be overpaid?

Every employer and every claimant has the right to appeal an unemployment decision. There is then a hearing where the intial decision to grant benefits is looked at again.
This does not mean you automatically are stopped from getting benefits, it means there is a process of looking at your termination. If you were not fired for a valid misconduct reason as determined by the unemployment insurance office, NOT just by your employer, then you may be approved for benefits in spite of the employer's appeals and objections.

If your claim is first approved, and then denied, and you did not go in and lie about the reason you were terminated when you filed (telling them you were laid off due to lack of work when you were actually filed, for example) this is not considered a fraud overpayment. You can, after you have exhausted all your appeals, talk to them and request to file a waiver, in which you show that you are unable to pay the money back at present due to your financial situation. But they will not make any steps toward recouping their money until you have had your appeal if you are entitled to file one. And no they do not demand it all back in one lump sum. And no you won't be prosecuted. They don't prosecute people who made a genuine filing for benefits and were denied in a non-fraud decision.

So where are you in this whole process? After five weeks, I'm not seeing how anything could have happened except an initial decision denying benefits. And this should have a notice that you have fifteen days to file an appeal if you disagree with this decision. And of course you will want to file an appeal, unless you were terminated for a real dilly of a justifiable reason, or unless you flatly lied about your reason for termination in filing the initial claim. Did you receive a notice denial informing you of your right to appeal , or have you just now gotten a letter saying that your employer has filed an appeal against your receiving unemployment and that if the decision stands and it is determined you are ineligibile you MAY be overpaid by $535?

It sound to me as though you are sort of woefully uninformed and not really understanding the unemployment insurance process.

What does the last communication you have received say, exactly? What exactly was the reason you were terminated?

Last edited:

eyesfocus

Thank you so much for your reply.

An initial determination was made on 3/31. That day I was allowed benefits. I never lied on my unemployment claim application; I stated I was fired for violating company policy....which is true. But I was approved and so was collecting $96 a week...not much, I know.

But then I got a notice that my previous employer appealed a week and a half ago and yes I have my own stand on what happened, but no hard evidence....and I started a part time job where I get 3 hours MAXIMUM...but I didn't want to get in trouble with the law so I haulted my unemployment by just not claiming anymore weeks....I haven't notified my processing center of my part-time employment yet.

It says Total Overpayment is $535. And I WANT to pay it back....but as long as I can waive it for a couple of months or set up payments, then I can.

swalsh411

Yes generally they will work with you. Save money wherever you can and pay it back as soon as possible.

It sounds like you just rolled over and died instead of exercising your legal right to an appeal.

eyesfocus

I don't know what I have to win against my employer, and I just want it to be all over with. This is really stressing me out...I DON'T want to go to jail. I'm 20 and in college and have so much at stake if I go to jail. I'll pay it back, I just don't want to be put away...

swalsh411

I don't know what I have to win against my employer, and I just want it to be all over with. This is really stressing me out...I DON'T want to go to jail. I'm 20 and in college and have so much at stake if I go to jail. I'll pay it back, I just don't want to be put away...
You're not going to jail, calm down. Tell us the circumstances of your termination and why you were denied unemployment. We may be able to help you.

commentator

Okay... this makes much more sense.

Violation of company policy is pretty easy to determine if they had a legitimate misconduct reason. Remember, they have to show that you (1)had knowledge of the policy (2) they had a clear cut handbook type estalished way of informing all employees exactly what the policy was, and that you (3) were given an opportunity to change your behavior and keep your job through progressive discipline, unless it was some really major company policy, like not stealing money from the cash register. The fact that you were initially approved indicates that perhaps you had a fairly strong argument that the above was not the case.

You don't need to inform the office that you have found another job. Just stop filing for any week that you made more than your weekly benefit gross amount, which I suspect that even with part time, you are doing that. You don't have to write them a letter. You stop filing for weeks, and they assume you don't want any more weeks and stop the money.

And now, immediately, send back word to them that you wish to file an appeal of the decision. In other words, appeal. You do not have to say anything in this request for appeal except that you disagree with the decision. You don't have to send back your information or make your argument. You will be given a hearing date at which both you and the employer or their representative may be present and you will present your story/evidence/proof of why you feel you were fired without a valid misconduct reason. You just say what happened.

As is frequently said here, you have absolutely nothing to lose by filing this appeal, you very well might win the decision that approves benefits for the $535 you have already been paid and will not have to pay the money back at all, and you can always ask us for help and support in your appeal process.

Then, later, if you are denied in the hearing, you will be able to work with the unemployment system toward paying the money back, but why not play it all the way out till then?

Going to jail or being charged with anything in this situation is not a possibility. As I said, this was not a fraud overpayment created by your lying to the system, and these overpayments that result from decisions being overturned are not considered wrongdoing on your part.

Last edited:

eyesfocus

Thank you. I will request to file an appeal in the morning.

Another thing: could they find me fraudulant because I also attend college? I stated I was doing so in my initial claim application so it's not like I hid that from them. Then filing for weekly claims, I just assumed 'days of training' attended would be the days I went to class. It's completely innocent.

eyesfocus

I worked for Walmart. Usually a disciplinary process is followed like first a verbal, then a written, then a decision-making day, and then termination. They just flat out terminated me. Could I use this in my appeal?

eyesfocus

Sorry, I thought you just meant what they, the employers, were saying. No pulling of teeth necessary, I don't mind being honest with you. I took food to the back off of the shelves without paying for it. No excuses or anything. I don't know why I felt compelled to do this....never have before or anything. But it happened.

commentator

Well, okay. Sort of a pull back here. How much food did you take off the shelves without paying for it? Once? Twice? Did you take it to the break room or put it in your pocket and take it home with obvious intent to steal it? Do they have video or witnesses of you doing this?

Is there any way you can say you intended to pay for it later? If no, and there was a several times deal, I think perhaps you had better just wait until the overpayment unit contacts you and then make arrangements with them to repay the overpayment gradually.

Because if you admit you were stealing, and Wal-mart caught you red handed and fired you, then you were fired for a valid misconduct reason and would not be approved to draw unemployment benefits.

Because I can't see any argument you can make in appeals that you were not fired for gross misconduct if you were flat out stealing merchandise. That's the type of misconduct that they would say you did not need progressive discipline or warnings, you should have known it was wrong to do this even one time.

But if you, for example,picked up something, put it in your pocket and were going to take it to the counter and pay for it later, but were seen or reported and fired immediately, you might have an argument that you were not intending to steal.

No, at this point they are not going to go into your being in school unless you chose to go into it. And why would you? There will not be any attention paid to that issue. even if you appeal, you won't be going into how pitiful you are because you are a poor struggling student, just a flat out discussion of the reason you were terminated, was it gross misconduct or not. If it was, then maybe, as I said, you won't have much of an argument that it wasn't, but in any case, you'll be able to work with the overpayment unit, because you were legitimately approved in the first place. And I keep saying, that's not fraud.

eyesfocus

It happened one time. The total taken equaled up to MAYBE $4 total. It didn't leave the store, was only taken to the breakroom. My blood sugar was acting up and I wasn't allowed to leave the area until someone else was there for coverage. It was getting to the point to where if I didn't get back there ASAP, or so it felt, that I would have fainted. And I've been with the company for over a year but I JUST transferred to this new store because of commute.

The next week after I was terminated, I sent in money.....$20 or so, to own up to it even though it didn't leave the store. But I was remorseful. And they never sent it back so they must have accepted it.

eyesfocus

The Asset Protection associates said they have it on video but when I asked to see it, they wouldn't show me what evidence they have of me doing it.

commentator

Being remorseful doesn't amount to much. Don't use that argument with anyone ever. Everyone who steals is very sorry they did if after they get caught. Also sending them $20 probably wasn't too cool, either. Every shoplifter offers to pay for the merchandise after they're caught with it. You just threw away $20. No they didn't "accept it" as repayment just because it wasn't sent back to you. So this info has no place in an appeals hearing.

If you had the honest intention of paying for the merchandise, you would have done what? Taken it to the front and paid the cashier? What was the procedure? At what point did they tell you you had been caught?That same night, or some time later? In other words, if you had left the break room and then been stopped by security, could you have possibly said you were going to pay for the stuff later? Most of the big box stores have cameras everywhere that they really can look at so there's not much percentage in saying you didn't do it if you did as they will have you on tape. You can certainly point out that you have been with them over a year and that you have never had this experience before.

If you can't deny doing it, and you fully intended to do it, and you've admitted you did it to them, I really don't see as there's much of an appeal here that is going to help you. Nothing about being terribly sorry and trying to send them twenty dollars later is an excuse for misconduct. But anyway, roll the dice. It will buy you a little time before you have to start coming up with the $535.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">