• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repeated Deduction Errors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chicago123

My employer has made repeated mistakes in handling my insurance elections and my benefits deductions from my paychecks in each of the past three years. I live and work in Illinois, but my employer does business nationwide. I track every penny earned and deducted from each paycheck and have been quick to notify the benefits/payroll departments of discrepancies. I feel that my attempts to correct the situation are not being taken seriously.

In spite of my attempts to rectify this through the proper channels, twice so far this year I have been notified by the corporate office that discrepancies have been uncovered in my benefits deductions and that I owe back-payment. I agree that I owe my employer for payments missed and I have set money aside to cover it, but I disagree with the amount they say I owe. I have attempted to dispute this diplomatically but the persons assigned to validate the disputed amounts are bad at math and/or are not critical thinkers. I have contacted the director of corporate benefits, but this person defers to these junior analysts in each instance.

I am certain that my calculation are correct and can prove my case overwhelmingly. Can anyone advise how to escalate this matter in such a way that won't make me a "problem" employees in the eyes of management? If the director of benefits "poo poos" me then what course of action should I take? Hundreds of dollars are at stake.

swalsh411

At this point you're not out any money you don't think you owe right? I would tell the people you are dealing with that you will only pay what you owe according to your calculations and that you will need to speak with their supervisor if they do not agree with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">