• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Short term disablility after termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rdrector

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland. I was on approved short term disability in MD prior to my employer suspending and then terminating me. It was not related to any false information of disability or so on. It was a completely alternate reason for termination. The company, or benefits provider is saying I am no longer approved for benefits of disability now that I was suspended and terminated. My benefits would normally be covered an additional 11 months before moving to long term disability. Is this factual in MD? Or is this a violation of some sort that my pre-approved disability would remain in effect even after termination until all benefits are expired as long as it was not a result of a false claim which it is not?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is not a matter of law in 45 states, including MD; this is a feature of your short term disability policy. It is rare indeed for an STD benefit to end with employment, but it is not prohibited by law. Only someone who has read your short term disability policy would be able to answer your question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">