• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sign on Bonus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alan222

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

Hello, I worked in IBM January 10 2011 and left on October 2011. I received a sign on bonus and according to the contract I signed, I have to give back the bonus if I leave employment before completing one year which I have.

After I left I contacted HR and asked how can I start paying my bonus back and if I can make monthly payments . They said not to pay anything now and wait for us to contact you by sending a monthly bill sometime in December 2011. Few days ago, I received a collection letter asking for the money. IS this legal? I am worried about my credit report. Can i fight this back? can I offer a less sum in cash to settle? Appreciate your help.

Antigone*

Hello, I worked in IBM January 10 2011 and left on October 2011. I received a sign on bonus and according to the contract I signed, I have to give back the bonus if I leave employment before completing one year which I have.

After I left I contacted HR and asked how can I start paying my bonus back and if I can make monthly payments . They said not to pay anything now and wait for us to contact you by sending a monthly bill sometime in December 2011. Few days ago, I received a collection letter asking for the money. IS this legal? I am worried about my credit report. Can i fight this back? can I offer a less sum in cash to settle? Appreciate your help.
Do you have anything in writing stating not to pay anything now?

Alan222

Sign in Bonus

Do you have anything in writing stating not to pay anything now?
Yes I do. I also have the following:

(Your overpayment is now on our que for calculation. We are going to send you letter for the details of overpayment and from there we can make a payment arrangement).

And they never did call or send me anything...

Antigone*

Yes I do. I also have the following:

(Your overpayment is now on our que for calculation. We are going to send you letter for the details of overpayment and from there we can make a payment arrangement).

And they never did call or send me anything...
Sure they did. They contracted with the debt collecter to collect it for them. Just because the collector has the account does not mean it is already listed as a collection account.

If you pay promptly this should not affect your credit history.

Alan222

Sure they did. They contracted with the debt collecter to collect it for them. Just because the collector has the account does not mean it is already listed as a collection account.

If you pay promptly this should not affect your credit history.
My understanding was to pay them directly as they stated. Thank u for your response :)

asiny

My understanding was to pay them directly as they stated. Thank u for your response :)
Either way, they get paid. Although I do have a query... is the amount the collections agency is requesting the same figure as what your company agreed you owed them? If the CA is tacking on 'fees', call your company HR directly.

Isis1

is it legal? yes. why wouldn't it be? it's a debt. it wasn't paid, still needs to be paid.

you can offer, they are not required by law to agree with your offer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">