• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Start-up Package question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zekzek

Wisconsin

Hi All,

Hopefully you can give me some advice. Last August, I signed a 9 month college teaching contract, professor at a university. The contract stipulated clearly my term from Aug 19-May 19, as well as percentage of salary per semester. As well, they included a start up package of $2500 to purchase a laptop and printer. The school purchased these items for me and I have been using them ever since, without a mention when I received them that they were to be returned. Now that my contract is up, they are requesting the laptop and printer back, but nowhere in my contract does it say that the start-up package is a loan to be returned. I signed the contract back in August with the knowledge this start-up package was a part of my salary. I'm not sure how to proceed with it.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks!

LdiJ

Wisconsin

Hi All,

Hopefully you can give me some advice. Last August, I signed a 9 month college teaching contract, professor at a university. The contract stipulated clearly my term from Aug 19-May 19, as well as percentage of salary per semester. As well, they included a start up package of $2500 to purchase a laptop and printer. The school purchased these items for me and I have been using them ever since, without a mention when I received them that they were to be returned. Now that my contract is up, they are requesting the laptop and printer back, but nowhere in my contract does it say that the start-up package is a loan to be returned. I signed the contract back in August with the knowledge this start-up package was a part of my salary. I'm not sure how to proceed with it.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks!
Was the value of the "start up package" included in your W2 as income? Or, in the alternative if you were somehow considered to be an independent contractor was the start up package included in your 1099-Misc? Unless the 2500.00 start up package was taxable income to you, you would have to return them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">