• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

which state rules apply

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

withonel

What is the name of your state? CA

When your employer is headquartered in a state other than the one where you live and work, which state's employment laws are followed? Or does it depend on the issue?

My husband lives/works in CA for a DE company. CA does not allow 'use it or lose it' vacation policies, yet his company requires him to use all his vacation days by the end of the year or lose them. It's not a big deal as he usually likes to take time off at the end of the year anyway, but were it be an issue in the future, are they required to follow CA rules and allow him to rollover unused vacation? And if his employment is terminated does DE require vacation pay out, if not, do they have to pay it out as they would need to in CA?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Relax. Since your husband lives and works in CA, CA law would apply, not DE.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Oh, good. Your post sounded so worried, I wanted to reassure you quickly. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">