• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Summer Unemployment for School Worker?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wasowicz

Hey All,

My sister has worked as an administrator at a grade school in California for years. And she has summers off, of course, because there is no school. And she gets no compensation during those summer months. Does she qualify for unemployment during those 3 months?

You people are great! Thanks so much for the help!

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When she filed for unemployment for that time, what did the EDD say?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Hey All,

My sister has worked as an administrator at a grade school in California for years. And she has summers off, of course, because there is no school. And she gets no compensation during those summer months. Does she qualify for unemployment during those 3 months?

You people are great! Thanks so much for the help!
What does her contract say? Bet you don't know because this is none of your business. :cool:

wasowicz

Hah! She's o.k. with sharing her biz with me, I think. Is that something that may be specified in a work contract? I guess I'll tell her to dig it out and read through. BTW, she has never applied for unemployment before. But I guess she should check the contract before she tries or she could get into trouble?

CSO286

Hah! She's o.k. with sharing her biz with me, I think. Is that something that may be specified in a work contract? I guess I'll tell her to dig it out and read through. BTW, she has never applied for unemployment before. But I guess she should check the contract before she tries or she could get into trouble?
Ya think?

:cool:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
She cannot (legally) get into trouble for filing for unemployment.

I've never understood why this is such a big deal. You aren't being paid, you apply for unemployment. It doesn't cost anything and there is no penalty for being wrong. If you don't qualify, the UI office will tell you so.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Google still works, doesn't it?
Oh yeah...it sure does:

http://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/School_Employee.htm
http://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/FAQ_-_School_Employees.htm

commentator

Haven't read the links by Zigner, but can cover this one from the hip. First of all, whether or not the person would be able to draw unemployment would never be legitimately covered in an employment contract of any kind. Unemployment benefits are a federal program, guaranteed by federal and state law and would not be determined or agreed upon or legitimatized by an employment contract, any more than being paid at least minimum wage for work performed would be.

However, those pesky school situations where the person is off during the summer has been covered specifically by the unemployment laws in every state. School systems hate to have to pay unemployment taxes and have forced the system to create some very specific regulations to govern their payment.

If you have "a reasonable expectation" of returning to work at the end of the summer vacation, then no, you are considered a special category for unemployment purposes and won't be approved to draw. Tenured teachers and administrators are usually a definite no go. For non-tenured teachers, usually the school system will tell them at the beginning of the school vacation that they will be reporting back at such and such time. And if they do this, then the employee is not eligible for unemployment benefits. The non-tenured teacher would need to discuss their own special circumstances with the unemployment system. There are different regulations for non-exempt staff such as aides and custodians. But since your sister is an exempt employee, has worked for years, she would not be eligible to draw unemployment benefits during that summer break, unless they had fired her and told her NOT to come back at the end of the break.

But I agree with cbg, there's nobody in the system who wouldn't be happy to explain to her what the law is on this if she cared to call and ask. Or she can do research on the internet.

OHRoadwarrior

I have never heard of a public school district that did not offer two salary methods. The first is pay over the school year, the second is pay over 12 months.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">