• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxable Benefit with conditions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jc1633

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Recently my employer (Higher Ed in Boston) determined that the no cost meals we were provided are taxable. We are now tracking dollars spent on our campus card and the taxable amount will be deducted from our November and December paychecks each year and paid to the state and Feds. I actually have little to argue about with this.

However, in order to retain the 'free meals' status, we are required to dine in 8 dining locations each month (lets say two a week), and to fill out an on-line survey about the food, cleanliness, etc.

My question is should those 8 meals be taxed or should they be a tax free benefit as in order to properly fill out the survey a meal must be purchased?

tranquility

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Recently my employer (Higher Ed in Boston) determined that the no cost meals we were provided are taxable. We are now tracking dollars spent on our campus card and the taxable amount will be deducted from our November and December paychecks each year and paid to the state and Feds. I actually have little to argue about with this.

However, in order to retain the 'free meals' status, we are required to dine in 8 dining locations each month (lets say two a week), and to fill out an on-line survey about the food, cleanliness, etc.

My question is should those 8 meals be taxed or should they be a tax free benefit as in order to properly fill out the survey a meal must be purchased?
From your description, I don't see how these can be considered a non-taxable fringe benefit.

swalsh411

Assuming you are paid for your time to complete the survey, I don't see any issue with this. Your employer could (while being paid) require you to complete a 3 hour survey after each meal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">