• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition Assistance Repayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

micboa

What is the name of your state? Maryland
I have a question in regards to Tuition Repayment. My company offers tuition assistance.
In January of this year HR changed the policy to require repayment of 1 year's of tuition assistance if the company terminates you or you resign.

We (the employees) did not actually sign this newly developed form until sometime in July when applying for tuition assistance.

My question is this. When I signed this form I had all intentions of staying employed at my organization. Recently, my company anounced that they were merging with another company and that legal transaction will become solidified in 1 qtr 2007. I have been told in not so many words that I am not guaranteed a job with the new organization. I also know this to be true having been in this situation 2 other times now.

Can they legally require me to pay back the 5,140.00 I have acquired in assistance? When I signed the agreement the company was not for sale, and they had stated that they were not for sale. Now, they have been sold. I am ok with the sale and everything but my signing the agreement was under totally different circumstances. Had I known that they would be selling the company, I would have never even thought about signing the form.

What are my obligations to repay this assistance back. I would think the company would be very petty if they require repayment under the new circumstances we all face.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated....

Beth3

Yes, I agree it would be petty if you and others lose your job as a result of the merger and are still required to repay the tuition money. If that happens, you may wish to consult with an attorney but generally speaking, the employer can change their policies at any time, with or without notice, and hold employees accountable. Without having seen the agreement you signed, it's not possible to comment specifically.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">