• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition Reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lsaenz

What is the name of your state? Texas
I applied for tuition reimbursement which my employer allows for 5250 per year. The money for classes taken in oct-dec of last year 2003 where not received from the company that processes our tuition reimbursement till the beginning of this year.
So, this years money was taxed because. I don't understand the law. If the money for last year class wasn't received till this year why should some of this money be taxed.

JETX

Trying to figure out what you MEANT to say is confusing due to your poor use of English and grammar.
However, it appears that you are asking why tuition paid last year and reimbursed this year falls on this years taxes. If correct, the reason is that the money was given (reimbursed) this year so falls to this years 'earnings'.

Beth3

If the money for last year class wasn't received till this year why should some of this money be taxed.

Did you by any chance receive other tuition reimbursement this year? Taxable income is determined by the year in which the money is received. If you exceeded $5,250 for 2004 (even if part of the reimbursement was for classes taken in 2003), then the excess amount is taxable income.

If that is not the case, then you need to ask your employer about this because as JETX stated, your post is very hard to understand due to your poor grammar.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">