• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tuition reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dorothyf

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO
Can an employer require you to stay with the company for 3 years after using completing one college class, cost approx $280.
It is worded like this:
6. Tuition assistance is considered a loan and requires a commitment of continued employment. This is, in no way, intended to suggest a guarantee of employment or to alter the employment-at-will status.

a. Acceptance of Tuition Assistance in the pursuit of a baccalaureate degree requires a commitment of three years of continued employment following the receipt of the baccalaureate degree before the loan is totally forgiven.
b. Acceptance of Tuition Assistance for classes which are not in pursuit of a baccalaureate degree requires a commitment of three years of continued employment following the successful completion of the class before the loan is totally forgiven.
c. Repayment of Tuition Assistance when commitment period is not met.
• 0 to 12 months – 100% of loan must be repaid,
• after 18 months- 75%,
• after 24 months – 50%,
• after 30 months – 25%,
• at 36 months – loan is forgiven.

Is it legal to make an employee an indentured servant when the company pays out $280 for a class they asked the employee to take?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO
Can an employer require you to stay with the company for 3 years after using completing one college class, cost approx $280.
It is worded like this:
6. Tuition assistance is considered a loan and requires a commitment of continued employment. This is, in no way, intended to suggest a guarantee of employment or to alter the employment-at-will status.

a. Acceptance of Tuition Assistance in the pursuit of a baccalaureate degree requires a commitment of three years of continued employment following the receipt of the baccalaureate degree before the loan is totally forgiven.
b. Acceptance of Tuition Assistance for classes which are not in pursuit of a baccalaureate degree requires a commitment of three years of continued employment following the successful completion of the class before the loan is totally forgiven.
c. Repayment of Tuition Assistance when commitment period is not met.
• 0 to 12 months – 100% of loan must be repaid,
• after 18 months- 75%,
• after 24 months – 50%,
• after 30 months – 25%,
• at 36 months – loan is forgiven.

Is it legal to make an employee an indentured servant when the company pays out $280 for a class they asked the employee to take?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Yes it is, and if you are concerned then don't take advantage of the benefit.

Antigone*

Your the one who took the money. If you don't like the terms, pay it back.
Sorry tranq, but the correct word is you're. It's elementary my dear!

...and that will lead us to tonight's edition of HIJACK TRIVIA

Without using Google who said that famous line (underlined and in italics).

The winners gets a high five from tranquility.

tranquility

I accept the chastisement. While I don't spellcheck nor really review language before posting[mispelled in the original, but chaged], that is an error I should have caught.

Funny thing is, I was an editor of a college newpaper. Redmark's for sure.

HIGH FIVE!!!!

Antigone*

I accept the chastisement. While I don't spellcheck nor really review language before posting[mispelled in the original, but chaged], that is an error I should have caught.

Funny thing is, I was an editor of a college newpaper. Redmark's for sure.

HIGH FIVE!!!!
Tranq,

Please don't think it was chastisement for it was in all jest and really just an opportunity to play HIJACK TRIVIA.

You get the honor of virtually high fiving the person who gets the answer right. So far my game is bust because no one has even tried to answer the question.

Stand by and stay tuned :) ana

pattytx

Just to comment on the OP's original statement.

You are NOT an indentured servant. You have a choice. Agree to the terms of the policy or don't avail yourself of the benefit. Simple as that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And, if I may say so, comparing yourself to an indentured servant because you voluntarily agreed to stay a specific period of time in exchange for a benefit your employer had no legal obligation to provide, is grossly offensive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">