• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scotbagpiper

In Illinois, what is the law about tuition reimbursement?

I have signed promisory notes that I would stay at the company for another two years after I get paid for classes that I have completed.
I submitted three requests every 6 months and I was promptly paid for all courses completed in that semester.
My agreement was that if I get paid in Dec 2007 - then I have to stay until Jan 2009 to have that obligation fulfilled. Then if I get paid for other courses that I finish in 6 months (June 2008) then I have to stay only until July 2010 to have that obligation fulfilled. The last one was in Dec 2008 and I would have to stay two years - until Jan 2011.
The company was bought by another business and now I hear that I have to stay full two years from the last payment (until Jan 2011) or otherwise repay full amount ($30,000).

Here is the excerpt from the old company law:
""Reimbursement of tuition expenses is contingent upon you remaining with the Firm for two (2) years after the end of a course for which you have received reimbursement. If you voluntarily terminate from the Firm, you will be required to repay any amounts reimbursed for courses that ended within the two years prior to your termination date.""

What does the law says?
Thanks,
ScotWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

In Illinois, what is the law about tuition reimbursement?

I have signed promisory notes that I would stay at the company for another two years after I get paid for classes that I have completed.
I submitted three requests every 6 months and I was promptly paid for all courses completed in that semester.
My agreement was that if I get paid in Dec 2007 - then I have to stay until Jan 2009 to have that obligation fulfilled. Then if I get paid for other courses that I finish in 6 months (June 2008) then I have to stay only until July 2010 to have that obligation fulfilled. The last one was in Dec 2008 and I would have to stay two years - until Jan 2011.
The company was bought by another business and now I hear that I have to stay full two years from the last payment (until Jan 2011) or otherwise repay full amount ($30,000).

Here is the excerpt from the old company law:
""Reimbursement of tuition expenses is contingent upon you remaining with the Firm for two (2) years after the end of a course for which you have received reimbursement. If you voluntarily terminate from the Firm, you will be required to repay any amounts reimbursed for courses that ended within the two years prior to your termination date.""

What does the law says?
Thanks,
ScotWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
From what you've written, it sounds like you would have a good defense if they decide to bring you to court.

Obviously, there could be clauses in your agreements that could change this.

If you find yourself in a situation where you may want to leave within two years of your last payment, your decision to leave should include advice from a local attorney. $30K is a lot to gamble.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">