• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition Reimbursement Payback

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GodOfPearlJam

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
I applied for tuition reimbursement from my employer in December. I was terminated from the company in January. We did not part on good terms, and I do not feel that termination should have occurred. After being terminated, the company paid me out my tuition reimbursement, for whatever reason. The company has now contacted me to pay the money back.

I signed a promissory note when applying for the tuition reimbursement. This would seem like an open and shut case, but the wording of the promissory note, that the company drew up, leaves a loophole for me to not pay the funds back.

The note states "This note shall be payable ON DEMAND under the following formula:"

It then lists specific terms of the reimbursement as "If voluntary termination or termination for cause is within the first year from the date the employee receives reimbursement, employee will reimburse [Company Name] the full amount.

My point to the company is that since I received reimbursement after termination, that this does not apply to me, and that going by the contract that they drew up (with a company that regularly creates contracts) there is technically no plan on the note for me to pay back the funds.

The funds are not a huge amount, but I did not get paid an annual bonus because they would not extend my employment to receive it. My point is, why should I extend my termination date to fit within their guidelines for repayment? It's not that I can't pay it, I feel like I've found a loophole and I could use the monies for many other things.

Last edited:

tranquility

Interesting theory. But, not one that should be dismissed as a matter of law. I think you will lose. But, who knows? You never know what a fact finder will determine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">