• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition reimbursement - repaying company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msagolfer

I recently left my employer and owe $5300 in tuition. I had signed a promissory note and on my last day of employment, signed an agreement to repay the funds within 6 months, at $1000 per month for 5 months and $300 in the final month.

I sent the first $1000 last month and the check has yet to be cashed.

If they do not cash the check (it is valid for 180 days) and the check expires. Do I still owe them the money?

I attempted to pay them. There is documentation that I sent the check (online bill pay). If they fail to cash the check(s), do they have legal recourse to come after me?

Antigone*

I recently left my employer and owe $5300 in tuition. I had signed a promissory note and on my last day of employment, signed an agreement to repay the funds within 6 months, at $1000 per month for 5 months and $300 in the final month.

I sent the first $1000 last month and the check has yet to be cashed.

If they do not cash the check (it is valid for 180 days) and the check expires. Do I still owe them the money?

I attempted to pay them. There is documentation that I sent the check (online bill pay). If they fail to cash the check(s), do they have legal recourse to come after me?
You should continue to send your checks. Make sure the funds are still available in the account. I can almost bet they will eventually get cashed.

msagolfer

Yes, I will continue to send in the checks.

My question is more about what happens if they do not get cashed (after 180 days) and the money is still in my account. Am I still required to pay them?

Antigone*

Yes, I will continue to send in the checks.

My question is more about what happens if they do not get cashed (after 180 days) and the money is still in my account. Am I still required to pay them?
If you still have the agreement in place that you will fulfill this obligation, then yes, you are still required to pay them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">