• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment and 401k

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unemployed13

What is the name of your state---- NJ

I withdrew money from 401k and I am on unemployment benefits. I received a lump sum. How will my unemployment benefits be affected? Does it matter my 401k was invested by me with an employer match? I only withdrew money that was invested by me. PLEASE HELP:confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Money from your 401k is not wages. Therefore, it should not affect your unemployment at all.

You will have to pay taxes and possibly a penalty on the withdrawal, but then, you knew that, didn't you?

commentator

Right. You do not even have to report this money to your unemployment system. Ever. Do not try to report it on your weekly or bi weekly certification. They may have a question about "are you drawing or did you begin to draw...." regarding pensions, but that only refers to whether or not you were approved for SSDI this week or whether you began this week to draw a company sponsored retirement or disability pension of some type. Your 401K is NOT that kind of pension. That's not what that question means. Do not mark it "yes," unless you want a long delay in your weekly checks, after which they'll tell you the same thing I'm telling you here now.

They want to know if you did work for which you have been paid, or will be paid in the future, and if you did, how much wages were you paid this week. They don't care if you won the lottery, sold your car, if your grandmother's estate came through with $50 million, if your wife got a better job.

They did not use your income to decide whether or not you were eligible for unemployment, and they do not give it to you based on your being low income or not having money to live on.

But if at all possible, you should avoid getting out your 401K, because of the terriffic tax liabilities you'll have at the end of the year. And then, too, unemployment benefits are taxable, and you'll actually owe taxes on them unless you are already having money taken out each week. Even if you haven't found another job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">