• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unemployment appeal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Floridagal111

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I quit my job of 11 years in a hospital this past June to pursue a job that I was hired for in NY making significantly more money. I asked my employer at the time if I could go to per Diem status as this is a frequent occurrence where I worked. The CEO had just been fired and we had an interim CEO that has also been relieved of his duties. However it was this interim persons decision that I must totally leave the company and because I was in an administrative position there was no "per Diem" status available to me. This was solely his opinion as my immediate boss thought it was fine.I ended up quitting the job totally which I did not want to do in case things didn't go well. So, I went to NY for this job and the company went out of business. The only work I was able to get was for temp agencies, which I did until October but did not work very much. When I decided to return to Fla, I applied for many many jobs but the most I have been getting is sporadic agency jobs again. I decided to apply for unemployment. I thought that they were going to give it to me and I had been calling in and claiming weeks. They gave me a dollar amount. I just got a letter saying that I was denied because I stated that I had quit for personal reasons. I probably didn't explain it well enough and you cannot ever get in touch with a live person. Do you think if I state what I just did to you that I have a chance on winning an appeal on this claim. I am really trying to get a real job but the economy is as bad here as it was in NY. I have no money left and can't make my car payment. What do you think I should do?
Thanks

I ended up quitting the job totally
I just got a letter saying that I was denied because I stated that I had quit for personal reasons.
...?

I have no money left and can't make my car payment. What do you think I should do?
I think you should get a new job and not expect UI to cover voluntary resignations.

From the U.S. Department of Labor's website:You must be determined to be unemployed through no fault of your own.
Telling your employer that you're no longer going to come into work (resigning) is generally not considered "no fault of your own."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">