• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Audit of Work Search Logs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ecmst12

Obviously you are not familiar with the symptoms of ADD. If you were you would understand that it does not affect ones ability to engage in stimulating work, but it does affect ones ability to complete mundane tasks such as keeping logs.
Oh that's HILARIOUS. I HAVE ADHD. I am extremely familiar with the symptoms. I am also extremely aware of the availability of safe, effective, and relatively inexpensive treatment for the symptoms. And it is absolutely not going to be an acceptable excuse for you not keeping proper records. Your unemployment auditor is not going to give your excuse any weight whatsoever.

The really nice thing about online job sites like Monster is that they keep records FOR YOU for the jobs you have applied for. Yet you didn't take advantage of any of these services?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And under NO law does it exempt you from performing the essential functions of the job at hand. That includes taking 2 minutes to log your job search.

guht

Oh that's HILARIOUS. I HAVE ADHD. I am extremely familiar with the symptoms. I am also extremely aware of the availability of safe, effective, and relatively inexpensive treatment for the symptoms. And it is absolutely not going to be an acceptable excuse for you not keeping proper records. Your unemployment auditor is not going to give your excuse any weight whatsoever.

The really nice thing about online job sites like Monster is that they keep records FOR YOU for the jobs you have applied for. Yet you didn't take advantage of any of these services?
I HAVE kept records AND taken advantage of these services for the last several months, which was AFTER I was diagnosed with ADD and began taking these safe, effective, and relatively inexpensive treatments you speak of.

CourtClerk

I wonder if the OP realizes that keeping a log of who you submitted applications and resumes to actually takes LESS time than to fill out an online application

Tresha91203

I went through a divorce during this time, obviously I lost my job after 11 years of employment, and as a result I sunk into a deep depression. I spent 5 weeks in an intensive out-patient program at which time I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and ADHD. My psychiatrist, as well as myself, believe that my mental health issues have directly affected my ability to find work, and obviously to keep and maintain a work log for my employment searches.
Were you on disability at this time or collecting unemployment? Were you able and available to work during this period? Depending on the answer, I would think twice about stating this to the auditor.

davew128

Obviously you are not familiar with the symptoms of ADD. If you were you would understand that it does not affect ones ability to engage in stimulating work, but it does affect ones ability to complete mundane tasks such as keeping logs.
A wise man (named Dave oddly enough :rolleyes:) once said that excuses are like rectums. Everbody has one.

csi7

I do have to say this about the employment workforce center I went to for my job search help. The first thing said, given, and worked with was the weekly log in of job searches.
As long as you have the searches, you're fine.

swalsh411

Do you have emails? Chat logs? Facebook posts? browser bookmarks? cell phone records? Surely you have something to document your networking.

Drop this "I have a mental health problem and an incapable of keeping a short log" B.S. right now. Nobody is buying it. Not here, and certainly not anybody from unemployment. You didn't keep a log because you didn't feel like it or didn't think it was important. No other reason. Even if you did have some mental health issue, it doesn't exempt you from that requirement. If your issue is so bad you can't keep a simple log, then you weren't in any condition to be accepting employment in the first place and therefore not eligible for benefits. That is how the unemployment people will see it. So just forget about and don't even consider ever bringing it up again.

The last thing you want to do is disclose that your doctor (your psychiatrist) told you that were not medically able to work. That's an automatic disqualification right there.

commentator

What is happening to you is a Benefit Accuracy Measurement audit as required by the state and federal unemployment laws. These audits are performed on a certain random percentage of claims and employer tax records each quarter. All this auditor will be looking for is a meeting with you where you undergo a very cursory review of your claim. They would prefer not to discover anything messy or complicated.

They would strongly prefer that you come up with some sort of record of where you have made basic work searches, done some contacts, approximate dates when you have filed applications. What they don't want to hear about is your health issues, mental or physical, your inability to do this work search, (although you were quite able to file for weeks of benefits) and how insulted you are as an American tax payer and a genuinely deserving person that you have been audited.

Do you honestly believe that every other random person they do this quality audit on has great records with daily, weekly and monthly records of where and how they have looked for a job? Since your state does not require that you document every single job search and fill out a log for submission each week, they get very approximate job search records from everyone they look at, you can bet on it.

If you are not willing to come up with something showing work searches you've made, even without documented proof, then can all that extraneous argument about your health, (you were able to get organized enough each week to certify during this period that you were ABLE, available and actively seeking work) your rights as a taxpayer (you did not pay unemployment into the system for yourself) and your serious need for the money as you were unable to work because you were.....something.

This auditor will have heard that "this is the first time I've ever asked for ... blah blah blah" so many times it is sickening. Making this statement is due to your lack of understanding of the system, which is there for you because you qualify, and not based on how much you need it. If your integrity is such that you don't want to come up with any kind of approximate job search record, you're welcome to just tell them you weren't really eligible that you committed fraud, and that you want to pay the money back. Your indignation about the fickle finger of fate which has caught you out in your particular personal situation will not make any difference to this auditor.

Just meet with them, present what records you can comfortably come up with, with approximations and guesstimations about dates and places. Do not provide too much extraneous information, do not volunteer anything you are not asked about. They may tell you your job searches are insufficient, and that in the future you need to do better and make them much more detailed. But they probably will not call a complete foul and report you to the fraud unit for overpayment charges unless you spill the beans about your really iffy situation since you began your claim in October of last year.

Whatever you do, do not show attitude or start arguing unemployment law with the auditor. That is absolutely the biggest tip off that a person is trying to commit fraud or hide something.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">