• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jhickey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State

I was receiving unemployment benefits.. I took a job through a temp agency and worked one day at the site. I decided that the job was not for me and wanted to pursue my job search further and the job that I took was not a good fit for me. I called temp agency and left message for recruiter and also emailed him stating that I didn't want to work for that particular place because the job was not a good fit and wanted to pursue my job search further. I did not report the one day that I worked... I wasn't sure if I had to because I quit right after. Needless to say.. unemployment caught wind of this and suspended my benefits for a total of 8 days. Now I received a letter that I am ineligible for benefits and have to pay an overpayment back to them of $2, 580.00. My question is.. should I take the loss or should I bother appealing this decision? And what are my rights concerning this.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State

I was receiving unemployment benefits.. I took a job through a temp agency and worked one day at the site. I decided that the job was not for me and wanted to pursue my job search further and the job that I took was not a good fit for me. I called temp agency and left message for recruiter and also emailed him stating that I didn't want to work for that particular place because the job was not a good fit and wanted to pursue my job search further. I did not report the one day that I worked... I wasn't sure if I had to because I quit right after. Needless to say.. unemployment caught wind of this and suspended my benefits for a total of 8 days. Now I received a letter that I am ineligible for benefits and have to pay an overpayment back to them of $2, 580.00. My question is.. should I take the loss or should I bother appealing this decision? And what are my rights concerning this.
Unemployment benefits are not paid so you can take time to pick and choose the perfect job. You can do that once you get A job. What exactly constitutes not a good fit?

Beth3

You have nothing to lose by appealing the decision but the State's decision isn't going to change. You accepted a job and then you resigned. If the $2,580 is repayment of the benefits you received from the time you quit the job until they caught up with you, you definitely owe the money back.

commentator

Yes, by all means, appeal the decision. If you were drawing benefits, we assume that you were entitled to them right up to the point when you did the little boo boo of taking a job, working one day, and then quitting the job and failing to report the income from that job on the appropriate week.

Okay, they caught that one, they sent you something saying you were suspended from drawing benefits for 8 days...why was that? Did they say they were checking on the situation? Then what happened? Did you then begin filing for weeks again and continue to draw benefits for a period of time?
And THEN you get a letter saying you are overpaid by $2,580? How much time had elapsed here? Okay what I am asking is, is the $2,580 benefits that you were paid after the overpayment was determined?Or is it the whole amount of the claim you were paid all together?

File an appeal. It will give you a little more time before you have to begin repaying the overpayment, even if they determine that you do.
Say you disagree with the decision. Then immediately, get in touch with the overpayment unit and work with them to determine if you are considered overpaid for the whole claim, or just for the time after you did quit the job and not report that and not report the wages you made during that week. You can always plead ignorance of that you were supposed to report it, it won't hurt anything. They don't care what your motives were, they can tell you did it. But what I am actually interested in is when they determined that you were overpaid, whether you drew benefits after this quit and fail to report wages occurred, and how they came up with this amount for your overpayment.

If you were originally determined to be overpaid and penalized just 8 days, told to continue filing after the 8 days had passed, then they shouldn't now at this point be telling you you're overpaid by that large amount, as you probably woudn't have filed for it if you had known your original error made you ineligible for any more unemployment benefits. Eventually you may have to pay it back, but lets get more information first.

Clarify the situation for us just a little please. But do file the appeal. you have nothing to lose by doing so.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">