• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment eligible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I have been hired for a seasonal position to last about 80 days at a major retailer. I was wondering once I get laid-off will I be eligible for unemployment? I've heard there was a 6 month requirement but I can't find anything on it. I meet the base requirements and everything else. Before this job I have been regularly employed for several years. Thanks!

swalsh411

If you've been working regularly then you should have enough wages in the base period to qualify. There is no specific time requirement for any one job; you just have to have enough wages in the base period to be financially eligible.

commentator

Important caveat. You have to stay around at this seasonal job long enough for them to tell you there's no more work. If you leave them, say to return to school or something, before the season ends, you will not be eligible for unemployment due to voluntarily quitting your job. You have to stay as long as they need you, until they tell you to go home, they have no more work for you.

The basic requirements for unemployment are that one must be unemployed through no fault of their own, have monetary eligibility, and be able, available and actively seeking other work (unless special allowances are made, as for someone in an approved school situation or some type of training.)

Monetary eligiblity in IL is usually based on wages from covered employers in the first four of the last five completed quarters. Which means you have to have worked out enough wages from tax paying employers during this period (about the last 18 months) to set up a claim.

Important caveat. You have to stay around at this seasonal job long enough for them to tell you there's no more work. If you leave them, say to return to school or something, before the season ends, you will not be eligible for unemployment due to voluntarily quitting your job. You have to stay as long as they need you, until they tell you to go home, they have no more work for you.

The basic requirements for unemployment are that one must be unemployed through no fault of their own, have monetary eligibility, and be able, available and actively seeking other work (unless special allowances are made, as for someone in an approved school situation or some type of training.)

Monetary eligiblity in IL is usually based on wages from covered employers in the first four of the last five completed quarters. Which means you have to have worked out enough wages from tax paying employers during this period (about the last 18 months) to set up a claim.

Wow, I understand what you're saying. I've read it from other places but it doesn't hardly seem true. This information isn't spelled out in any IDES websites.

From what it seems, a person could work a high-paying job for years and get fired or quit, then take a low-paying seasonal job at one of the many retailers that offer that type of work. They work long enough to get laid off, not fired or quit, for a minimum of 30 work days, and this person could file for unemployment. The unemployment pay out would be high because the pay out would be based on previous quarters where the worker earned high amounts from a different job, even though the job they're collecting from would have been low wage. And this person could collect up to 6 months or more AND be eligible for schooling in an approved trade, including tuition, fees, books, etc under the Illinois Workforce Investment Act.

I've worked a number of low-paying retail jobs that hired seasonal workers, as well I've been a seasonal worker. I've got to tell you no one has ever mentioned this to me. I've always heard you have to work 6-months before you collect, but I guess that's not Illinois. The way these place treat you by nickel and diming, it doesn't seem like they would hire seasonal workers if they knew they would be eligible for unemployment.

I've got to think they either count on employees not knowing this, or if they do they'll rehire the employee and find cause to fire them or make things unbearable so they quit.

commentator

Denying workers unemployment if they are legitimately entitled to it is frowned on and can lead to sanctions by most all the states unemployment offices. They are supposed to have posters in the workplace telling people about their unemployment eligibility. It is a federal program administered by the states, as official as minimum wage and other federal programs of this type. If they terminated an employee because of signing up on seasonal unemployment after working for them, that would be considered a bad thing.

Each and every employer of appropriate size and definition has to pay in unemployment taxes. The amount of these taxes paid by the employer is affected by several things. One of these is patterns of lay offs. In other words, employers who historically hire seasonal workers pay higher rates.
The number of people on the payroll, the unemployment rate of the whole state and nation, nature of the work, unemployment taxes is a fact of life for employers.Many large employers hire consultants who handle their unemployment, try to lower their tax rates by fighting claims, keeping up with paperwork. But I cannot count the number of times I have been confronted by an employer who has opened a seasonal business and is screaming because at the end of the season, his employees are eligible for unemployment benefits.

Yes, it could work out so that if a person has quit their long term high paying job, they could take a temporary seasonal job somewhere, work through the season, make what is called "re-earnings" and be laid off and be able to receive unemployment. (It's not a time frame, like six months you have to work somewhere, it's an amount of gross wages you have to make for it to be considered your separating employer. ) But unemployment insurance, even the maximum weekly benefit, is usually less than you could make working, even at a low paying job.

Most states have a provision that on each claim, if you have lots of employers in the base period and you left for a non-qualifying reason, such as quitting, or if you were terminated and unemployment was not approved, these employers are given what is called a "non-charge" to their unemployment tax rate, which means your drawing benefits doesn't affect their rates negatively.

Not signing up on unemployment when you would have been eligible is not by any means a virtue or a wise thing to do. No one is responsible for holding your hand and encouraging you to file when you might be eligible, but there is no down side to filing a claim, whether you qualify or not. No matter how many years you have been working, the only wages considered to set up a claim is the current base period, so you cannot save up unemployment benefits for use in future years. And you were under a misconception about unemployment that could have been cleared up very quickly with a little research.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">