• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shawnusa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mass

I am getting unemployment insurance benefit right now. One company offered me a 3 months temporary job. The pay is much more than I get from the benefit. So, I will not get any money from the state for those 3 months.

1. Can I still continue to get UI benefit after the 3 months end?

2. What should I do for my UI benefit claim after I take the temporary job? Decline the payment or do nothing to let it go to inactive status.

3. Anything that I need to take care before taking the 3 months temporary job? I mean I can continue to get the benefit from the state after that.

Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
MA not only allows but encourages short term jobs during a claims.

1.) Yes, as long as the claim does not expire in the interim

2.) You stop your weekly filings. If you have a whole lot of time to waste you can try calling them to tell them you have a short time job, but it's not necessary and getting through to them on the phone is very time consuming

3.) No. You simply call or go to one of the walk in centers when the job ends and tell them you need to reopen the claim

shawnusa

MA not only allows but encourages short term jobs during a claims.

1.) Yes, as long as the claim does not expire in the interim

2.) You stop your weekly filings. If you have a whole lot of time to waste you can try calling them to tell them you have a short time job, but it's not necessary and getting through to them on the phone is very time consuming

3.) No. You simply call or go to one of the walk in centers when the job ends and tell them you need to reopen the claim
Thank you so much !!!

commentator

One careful note of caution here. There are two ways people frequently screw this up.

Be sure you know which week you are filing for when you do your last certification for the last week you DID NOT work for the short term employer. Unemployment weeks always run from Sunday till the following Saturday, regardless of when you are paid for the work. Any certification you make for a week of unemployment is for the previous Sunday through Saturday. Thus you will certify for the week ending Sunday through Saturday on Monday or Tuesday of the week you begin work with the temporary employer. You will be talking about the previous week, when you didn't work, okay?

Some people tend to cheat themselves by not filing for that last week of unemployment after they found out they were going to work. But you are entitled to every week that you did not work, even though you knew you were about to go to work. And yes, you do have to make your job searches that week. If asked, put them down. Go on, apply for a couple more good jobs just for luck!

And be careful NOT to file after the first week you actually work for the new employer. Even though your pay may be held back a week, and you don't get any check that first week, or even two, you are not eligible for unemployment if you were working, regardless of whether or not you are paid for the work yet. It's a very common way for people to get overpaid, they assume that they can keep filing for unemployment until they begin getting paid on the new job. Not so.

You do not have to make a formal report that you are working. Just do not file any more weekly certifications. That will stop your claim. You don't need to notify anyone. As soon as you stop filing for weeks, you stop getting checks. As soon as the job ends, you re-open the claim. Even if your benefit year has ended while you were working, they will deal with a re-open, and chances are good, with the wages you have made on this temporary job, that you will be able to start a whole new claim. Working part time jobs while drawing benefits is a GOOD thing!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">