• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation day instead of taking a couple of hours off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taphy13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

The staff in my division was just sent an email by our new manager:

1) that if we "need to take more than 2 hours off in a day – we should use a full vacation day. However, it may be considered on a case-by-case basis if needed." This includes doctor's appointments etc. Is an employer allowed to make you take a full day off when someone works hourly?

2) if someone is exempt, they've been told that their hours will be tracked if less than 8 hours a day. (It says nothing about tracking the time spent over 8 hours and receiving credit for it).

What is the legality for both of these situations?

Many thanks!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

pattytx

1. Yes, because there is no law prohibiting it. I'm assuming you mean you must actually TAKE the whole work day off, not that you work a partial day, but must "use" 8 hours vacation.

2. Perfectly legal. I don't know where people get the idea that exempt employees can come and go as they wish with impunity.

davidmcbeth3

I don't see an issue with the policy ... the "case by case" basis seems to indicate that the policy is flexible too. Over time you may find out that the policy is a good one.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Here too. Nothing in the law of any state requires an employer to allow an employee to take vacation in partial day increments of any size. In all 50 states it is the right of the employer, not the employee, to decide how much or how little vacation time can be taken at once.

Once again, in all 50 states, there is nothing illegal about tracking an exempt employees time, period, under any circumstances whatsoever. The ONLY thing that would be illegal would be IF the exempt employee's pay was affected. There are many valid reasons to track an exempt employee's time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">