• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation Elimination ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Theo at VCC

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Mexico

A part-time employee (20 to 30 hours / week) at our church, was hired in with a certain vacation benefit as outlined in the Employee Handbook. They have been in service for 11 years now, and Church Leadership is considering taking away the vacation benefit by simply revising the Handbook. Is this legal ??????????

justalayman

Unless there is a contract to the contrary, yes, the terms of employment can be changed at the discretion of the employer.

LdiJ

Unless there is a contract to the contrary, yes, the terms of employment can be changed at the discretion of the employer.
I agree. However, I think that the church leadership is being very tacky and unchristian in considering making that change.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
UnChristian? Many employers do not offer vacation to part time employees. Are they all unChristian?

FlyingRon

UnChristian? Many employers do not offer vacation to part time employees. Are they all unChristian?
I suspect that this was just a dig at the fact the employer is a church. Of course, that works only if the church was a Christian one, but given the poster's user name, I'm guessing it is something like the Valley Christian Church.

justalayman

I don't see it being any less tacky whether it be a church or any other employer but in the end, it is a business decision they are allowed to do, given proper notice where required and in the states that that consider vacation an earned benefit, paying out any vacation time due.

LdiJ

Changing it after it has been a benefit for 11 years for the same employee, is unchristian.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Please note: I have been a Christian since I was 14.

I do not see this as being either Christian or un. It is a business decision and one that does not have any religious significance.

You are free to disagree if you choose. It is legal and it is not inappropriate. To try to assign Christian values to it is, quite frankly, ridiculous IMO.

FlyingRon

Please tell me one that is not catholic or protestant and calls their house of worship a church. No snark intended, I would really like to know.
Unitarian-Universalists call their religion a church, and you'll find that the only time you hear Jesus Christ mentioned is when the janitor fell down the back stairs.
The Buddhists refer to their churches in the US (in fact, the national organization is called The Buddhist Church in America).
There are a lot of non-denomiational groups that refer to themselves with CHURCH.
The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster has church in it's name.
Some of the Baha'i houses of worship use the name Church.

Finally, CHURCH is the legal term used for such organziations of any religion in the NH (and even federal law).

LdiJ

Unitarian-Universalists call their religion a church, and you'll find that the only time you hear Jesus Christ mentioned is when the janitor fell down the back stairs.
The Buddhists refer to their churches in the US (in fact, the national organization is called The Buddhist Church in America).
There are a lot of non-denomiational groups that refer to themselves with CHURCH.
The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster has church in it's name.
Some of the Baha'i houses of worship use the name Church.

Finally, CHURCH is the legal term used for such organziations of any religion in the NH (and even federal law).
Thank you, I was not aware that Unitarians were not Christian and did not know the rest referred to them as churches. However, I have a bit of a hard time taking the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster seriously.:)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you, I was not aware that Unitarians were not Christian and did not know the rest referred to them as churches. However, I have a bit of a hard time taking the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster seriously.:)
Perhaps you simply have not experienced The Monster with the correct Sauce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">