• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Won't receive benefits right away????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lexemom

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I received my one year review finally. My one year anniversary of my job was actually March 4, but my boss didn't give my review until a few weeks later. I'm sure it's because she didn't want to pay my big quarter an hour raise right away. What I am confused about, is that I will not receive my vacation days until next January-even though I've been here a year now.

My boss handed me the employee handbook which read "Employees must complete the previous calendar year (governed by their anniversary date) to be eligible for their vacation time."

The only reason that I am concerned about this is that my boss complains if I take off any time at all for doctor visits, to take my daughter to the dentist, or anything. She doesn't complain when the other girls in the office do it, because they have vacation time that they are using.

So my question is, is it legal for my boss to make me wait for another 9 months to receive those vacation days? It just doesn't seem very fair that I put it all of that time and effort for nothing! Thanks in advance.

pattytx

Have you asked HR for a clarification? I agree that the statements regarding "calendar year" and "anniversary date" might be confusing.

However, according to law, the employer is not even required to have a vacation plan, and in Ohio, accrued vacation is not considered vested wages, so the company can pretty much design the plan any way they want.

Last edited:

Lexemom

There is no Human Resources, that would be my boss. It's a very small office-only five full time employees. It's seems that she only follows what rules she wants to. After carefully reading over our handbook, we are supposed to get 2 breaks-but she only gives us one (and she's tacked it onto our 1/2 unpaid lunch break). I guess I'm just out of luck, argh.

Beth3

Your employer's policy is very confusing. Based on what you've said, I take it that vacation is granted on a calendar year basis, i.e. you'd first be eligible for vacation on January 1st after you've completed one full year of service. Many employers have similar policies and they're perfectly legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">