• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Workplace Funds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boothy144

Q: What are the laws on a 'workplace fund'. Is it illegal to use scare tactics to collect this fund.

Hello, regarding 'workplace funds'. (i.e a fund used for t-shirts, company days out ect.)

What are the laws on workplace funds, for example; a collection of money from 'all' employees for a pot or fund. For the benefit of the company.

Is there a law on how this must be audited/recorded. And must employees know where this funding is going?

If the collections is 'forced', in the manner of; telling employees if they dont pay that it will stop them being promoted. Or scare tactics i.e; discplinary action. Is this illegal, and how?

Finally; Must employees actually choose to subscribe to this fund, or can a list just be created of all employees that 'must' pay. Therefore, to stop paying you have to go through a long stressful process to not pay into it.

The funds collected are around £2.50 each month from approximately 200-300 personell.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Q: What are the laws on a 'workplace fund'. Is it illegal to use scare tactics to collect this fund.

Hello, regarding 'workplace funds'. (i.e a fund used for t-shirts, company days out ect.)

What are the laws on workplace funds, for example; a collection of money from 'all' employees for a pot or fund. For the benefit of the company.

Is there a law on how this must be audited/recorded. And must employees know where this funding is going?

If the collections is 'forced', in the manner of; telling employees if they dont pay that it will stop them being promoted. Or scare tactics i.e; discplinary action. Is this illegal, and how?

Finally; Must employees actually choose to subscribe to this fund, or can a list just be created of all employees that 'must' pay. Therefore, to stop paying you have to go through a long stressful process to not pay into it.

The funds collected are around £2.50 each month from approximately 200-300 personell.
Sorry, this forum is for US law matters only.

boothy144

Information you received that is not based on the laws of YOUR country would not be valid.
I am aware i am on a US website. I require a US law answer.

'would not be valid'. - i take it you mean in a court. This is for a project.

Again, i am gathering workplace laws, from as many countrys. i am aware i am on a united states forum. Thankyou

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In the US, we have state laws as well as Federal laws. There are 50 states, plus Washington DC, plus Federal. Thus there are 52 possible ways this could be handled.

Not to mention that US and UK employment law tends to be VERY different. You can't look at US law and make any connections to UK law.

(Which is good for you, because UK law tends to be more employee friendly than US law does.)

boothy144

In the US, we have state laws as well as Federal laws. There are 50 states, plus Washington DC, plus Federal. Thus there are 52 possible ways this could be handled.

Not to mention that US and UK employment law tends to be VERY different. You can't look at US law and make any connections to UK law.

(Which is good for you, because UK law tends to be more employee friendly than US law does.)
So what are the laws on this in New York then...

Nowhere does it say i am trying to link the two together.

Do you guys lock people up based on assumptions, all i did was use the pound symbol and you all think im from the uk.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If there was any chance before of my looking up any laws for you, you've just lost it. You can use Google as easily as I can. I don't do anyone's homework but my own. And I'm not taking any classes this term.

On your own, toots.

boothy144

If there was any chance before of my looking up any laws for you, you've just lost it. You can use Google as easily as I can. I don't do anyone's homework but my own. And I'm not taking any classes this term.

On your own, toots.
bit touchy, sorry babes xx

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">