• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Walmart didn't put oil in my car.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

I would like to know where the OP has a lifetime warranty on an engine. I have never heard of a lifetime warranty on an engine.

and the obvious remedy is have the engine replaced by whomever is giving the lifetime warranty. Obviously they are not going to do it under warranty due to wallyworlds screw up so wall pays for that repair. Then OP will get the lifetime warranty that goes along with the engine.

OP is then made whole.

. Wallyworld is required to return OP to the same condition as before the mistake and that is with an engine with the same warranty as before. It it takes wally to pay for a brand spanking new engine, so be it if that is what it takes to return OP to whole. If they can do it with a used engine with less than 35k miles, then all the better for wallyworld.

the mileage is of less concern than the warranty.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I still get the feeling though that the OP is hoping to hear that he's entitled to a brand new engine on WalMart's dime.
I disagree (which is ok). I think the OP wants to make sure that, whatever the resolution is, he maintains his warranty on his expensive-to-maintain vehicle.

You Are Guilty

ANOTHER option is for the OP to pay the difference between a "used engine" and a "new engine" installed by the dealer ;)
Absolutely, 100% correct. Except that this alternative requires OP to expend his own money to fund it, while the used-engine option is cost neutral. (Ergo, 99% of the US population will never choose it :D )

ariastar

It doesn't matter whether OTHER people get a lifetime warranty. THIS person has one. The warranty is a RIGHT provided to him per the terms of his purchase contract. GET IT? :rolleyes:
You said, "Lifetime warranties are RIGHTS", not, "This guy has a right to whatever," in response to me saying that express warranties are privileges, not rights, in response to someone else saying there can't be conditions on warranties.

OP's expressed lifetime warranty can come with conditions. Don't take proper care of the warrantied item, abuse it, and then find a court that says your item is still covered. I'd like to see Apple sued for all the computers not covered because of liquid damage and being dropped on their monitors. I'd like to see engine manufacturers sued for not covering engines with 20k miles that are destroyed because the drivers never changed the oil or drove drunk and crashed into a tree. Judges would be laughing plaintiffs out of court. (Also Apple warranties are 100% void if a non-Apple-aproved company works on the machine. This is...a condition!)

Now the OP took the engine to WalMart, WalMart ruined it, the original warranty doesn't have to cover jack. It wasn't a manufacturing defect or a part that wore out faster than it should have. It was a halfassed oil change job at a place the manufacturer had no control over in terms of quality control or anything.

ariastar

I disagree (which is ok). I think the OP wants to make sure that, whatever the resolution is, he maintains his warranty on his expensive-to-maintain vehicle.
Well, whichever he's wanting (I could be wrong, you could be, we're both presuming to a degree until/unless OP comes back to reply), there are several viable and fair solutions presented.

Zigner

You said, "Lifetime warranties are RIGHTS", not, "This guy has a right to whatever," in response to me saying that express warranties are privileges, not rights, in response to someone else saying there can't be conditions on warranties.
My statement is that our OP has the RIGHT to his warranty, as defined in his purchase agreement. I don't think you and I are saying anything different.

ariastar

My statement is that our OP has the RIGHT to his warranty, as defined in his purchase agreement. I don't think you and I are saying anything different.
I think we're on different pages. If you mean he's entitled to a warranty that makes sure he's covered for the time remaining on his warranty, but not that the original company should be on the hook, then I definitely agree. If you mean the original company should be on the hook because it's warrantied for the engine's lifetime, no matter how he cares for or neglects it, then I disagree.

One thing's pretty certain. The original company is not going to be on the hook for continuing to cover this particular vehicle when the OP took his car to WalMart and it's indisputable that WalMart's error ruined it. He's legally entitled to an equal engine, which is a used one with same miles, and an after-market warranty covering the time he had left on the original, on WalMart's dime. If WalMart won't cover that after-market warranty, he's going to have to sue for it, and it wouldn't surprise me if WalMart tries denying this coverage. If he wants a brand new engine, he's SOL unless by some cosmic chance it's literally impossible to make him whole without bettering him. If WalMart won't cover an after-market warranty, the original company might be willing to pay something toward it for good PR.

Zigner

I think we're on different pages. If you mean he's entitled to a warranty that makes sure he's covered for the time remaining on his warranty, but not that the original company should be on the hook, then I definitely agree. If you mean the original company should be on the hook because it's warrantied for the engine's lifetime, no matter how he cares for or neglects it, then I disagree.
Nope, one is not entitled to a warranty where none is offered. But once one is offered and accepted (contractually), then the person is definitely entitled to it.
I agree that we're probably on different pages about that...

Country Living

Pull the engine, send it to a re-manufacturing company, have them send back the same engine as a rebuilt, and put it back in the vehicle.

I just put a re-manufactured engine (aka rebuilt) in my Land Cruiser. I have a three year unlimited miles warranty.

justalayman

Pull the engine, send it to a re-manufacturing company, have them send back the same engine as a rebuilt, and put it back in the vehicle.

I just put a re-manufactured engine (aka rebuilt) in my Land Cruiser. I have a three year unlimited miles warranty.
but the OP has a lifetime warranty currently and following your direction, he would lose that warranty.

Many vehicles with 35K will have their resale value drop if you drop in a rebuild from Jasper into it. Don't know the make and model of the OP's vehicle.
I would at the least insist that the short block came from the manufacture with parts and labor included in the warrenty.

Most rebuilds only come with a PARTS warrenty. Labor isn't included if the engine is bad. So the OP gets a rebuild engine only to find out 500 miles later that it's defective and the manufacture is willing to do an exchange and the OP has to pay ~$100 for shipping plus $1200 to pull the bad one and install the new one.

Shouldn't WM be reaponsible for making the OP Whole instead of making the OP gamble on the quality of a rebuild???

Make sure that WM agrees to PARTS & LABOR on the warrenty! And that might push them closer to a new engine....

Last edited:

justalayman

Shouldn't WM be reaponsible for making the OP Whole instead of making the OP gamble on the quality of a rebuild???
yes

WM needs to do what it takes to cause the warranty to be continued.

aking378

I have a Dodge Caliber 08. It has, like i said 35,000 miles on it. Its not anywhere near the 100,000 mile warentee that is specified as a lifetime in the contract. I am not "looking" for a "new" engine as much as i'd like to keep the warentee. Also i can take it where ever I like for an oil change, walmart included. I was told by CMI rep holding my case that he's been talking to his supervisiors about this problem, and now his supervisors are looking over the guidelines of my warentee. I got recent update that the supvisors are talking to their own supervisors. Obviously they are taking their time making a decision but i am hopeing its a good sign.

TigerD

I also drove back to walmart, the service manager apologized again, stated it was their fault again and refunded my oil change and gave me a 50 dollar gift car.
Hasn't he already endangered the settlement by accepting a refund and compensation?

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">