• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

License revocation question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNposter

From Minnesota...

My husband was arrested for a DUI. His license was automatically revoked after 7 days. We hired a lawyer and filed a challenge for the license revocation. He was granted a stay and his license was once again valid.

His lawyer got a plea deal to "Traffic-Duty to Drive with Due Care - Speed Greater than Reasonable".

Looking at the court paperwork, the conditions of the conviction are:
Remain law abiding
No misdemeanor (or greater) charges within a year
Chemical dependency evaluation - send proof to court
Follow recommendations of evaluation (which ended up being a 6 hour class) - send proof to court
And, he also paid a fine...of course!!

At the court appearance, his lawyer told him that he would also still lose his license for 90 days.
I can see on the court documents on line that the conviction was send to DPS (Dept of Public Safety).

But, it's been a month since the conviction and his license is STILL VALID!!! We check it a couple times every day.

Is he going to lose his license or not?????

We don't care either way....we just need to know! He is self-employed as a handyman/contractor and has been unable to take on any jobs for fear that he could get started on a job and then lose his license and not have the ability to get back to it!!

It does seem odd to me that if he was convicted of a lesser charge...not the dui...that his license would be revoked. Isn't it like he never got the dui???

Dose anyone know????
Any feedback would be VERY appreciated!

witzeroni

You have to remember how incompetent govt. workers are. Chances are his information got 'lost in the system' and nothing will come of it.

Rwedunyet

I'm not sure who this witzeroni is, but he's blasting the boards with less than wonderful information. Wait and listen until the seniors answer.

my personal non lawyer advice would be to check with his PO to see what is up. If the Judge ordered that his license was to be revoked, it needs to happen.

justalayman

if the court said his license is revoked, it matters not if the DMV reports it as such. It is still suspended.

The DMV can impose an administrative suspension and if that is the case here, they may not have received the proper paperwork to suspend the license yet/

is this a judicial suspension or an administrative suspension?

witzeroni

my personal non lawyer advice would be to check with his PO to see what is up. If the Judge ordered that his license was to be revoked, it needs to happen.
Let's just say that this poster may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer. I think that you can figure out what what happen if you 'asked the PO to see what was up'. Suddenly they may realize their error and take care of it.

justalayman

Let's just say that this poster may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer. I think that you can figure out what what happen if you 'asked the PO to see what was up'. Suddenly they may realize their error and take care of it.
witzeroni, you have shown yourself to be the knife that nobody uses because it is so dull but even worse, it simply cannot be sharpened. It is not capable of taking an edge.

justalayman

You should read really carefully before posting. Please reference any text where the court said his license was revoked.

so you want to play the take a portion of text out of my comment and attempt to sound smart. You don't. Read my complete post so it is in context.

additionally, OP said his lawyer told him his license would be suspended. I asked if it was an administrative or judicial suspension because it makes a difference/

Ladyback1

witzeroni, you have shown yourself to be the knife that nobody uses because it is so dull but even worse, it simply cannot be sharpened. It is not capable of taking an edge.
In my house, we call those who are not the sharpest knife in the drawer, a spoon.;)

witzeroni

Quincy, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I appreciate you sharing. Just get tired of seniors like you who are always belittling others. Alcoholism is a disease. Do you make fun of cancer patients also? I was arrested twice for dui - one conviction and once the chargers were dropped. On the one I was convicted, I fully cooperated with the police, and was out of state, paid for an expensive lawyer, and at the same time was a victim of a crime - long story - won't get into it. On the one where charges were dropped, I didn't cooperate (didn't blow or take any field sobriety tests), and had a dirt cheap lawyer.

I certainly don't condone drunk driving, but I have personally witnessed much chicanery involved when applying the law. Read the posts I submitted for examples of the chicanery.

I have found it's best to get a cheap lawyer instead of an expensive lawyer for a plethora of reasons.

Just don't care for your big-government loving mentality and how you guys turn a blind eye to the killing of the most innocent thru abortion, but call for the chair for somebody who gets busted for dui even though he didn't hurt anybody.

quincy

Where did you ever get the idea that my feelings were hurt, witzeroni?

How did I "belittle" you by sharing your drunk driving thread with others? You wrote it, not me.

As for my opinion on drunk drivers, I don't want to get hurt or killed, or have anyone I know and love hurt or killed, by your drunk driving or the drunk driving of others. When you get behind the wheel when drunk, you endanger everyone else on the road.

If you are an alcoholic, get help. And do not drive when drunk.

CdwJava

Just buried a young man here that I have known most of his life for another DUI collision ... in my county almost every fatal collision is alcohol related. Those few that are NOT alcohol related tend to be related to hard drugs.

I have a huge bias against DUI. Having a kid die in your arms while the drunk that killed him is complaining about his civil rights tends to sway one against the minimization of the offense.

Rwedunyet

Quincy, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I appreciate you sharing. Just get tired of seniors like you who are always belittling others. Alcoholism is a disease. Do you make fun of cancer patients also? I was arrested twice for dui - one conviction and once the chargers were dropped. On the one I was convicted, I fully cooperated with the police, and was out of state, paid for an expensive lawyer, and at the same time was a victim of a crime - long story - won't get into it. On the one where charges were dropped, I didn't cooperate (didn't blow or take any field sobriety tests), and had a dirt cheap lawyer.
My brother is an alcoholic. He chooses to pour that drink. He chooses to put that cup to his mouth. He chooses to swallow that drink. He chooses to do this multiple times. He chooses to put his sorry a$$ in a car and drive it on the same roads as my children. He did choose to not allow field sobriety or breath test. He did not choose to have the blood test, but it was done anyway, by the hospital, during the time he was unconscious in the ICU after he plastered his drunken self all over the asphalt. (Guess what! He thinks he knows "the law" too. His "knowledge" landed him in prison for a long time.)

I am a cancer survivor. I chose not to have another tumor, but it came back anyway. I chose not to hurt like he** for a year, but I did it anyway. I'm "all better" now. I choose to stay that way. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

There is no comparison.

You have the logic of a drunken fool. Get over yourself.

signed,
the dull knife who does not care, not one whit, where the money goes so long as it keeps repeat offenders off the roads. (see, I can copy and paste, too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">