• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stressedincali

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I posted this in debt collections, but maybe I should've posted here?

Sorry, this may be long. I have been issued a Notice of Levy Execution Money Judgement. I did not know AT ALL what this was pertaining to, as I haven't had a judgement on my credit report. So after a stressful few days of trying to figure it out... I called the lawyer on the paperwork to find out exactly what this debt was. Turns out that it's from a car repo from back in approximately 2002. From what they've said, they sold the car, I was to pay the remaining balance. Thing is, since that time, I have moved practically every single year or 2 years max at a place and haven't received anything even knowing I had a judgement in the first place. Now since I've called them, I guess I've acknowledged the debt.

The debt has increased double than what the original amount was due to interest. Original amount approximately $8,000 and now $16,000. They're trying to say I can settle for around $14,000 at $845 a month. I am on disabillity due to illness and I haven't worked since 2002. I acquired this debt in 2001 and was divorced at the time. Here's how the paperwork is written... it still has my former name, checkmarked is any and all deposit accounts, safe deposit boxes, monies, credits, rents, effects due or owing the judgement debtor in the possession or under the control of the person, business, firm, association, partnership, corporation or financial institution listed under garnishee. This levy is made in accordance with SEC.700.140 or 700.150 CCP. - MY BANK name listed here. This bank that they listed, is only a bank that I got another car loan on and it also has a savings account that I have never used at all, has a 0 balance and always has. So there is nothing to garnish there. My car loan with this bank is just about to be paid off. Can they take my car now or once it's paid off?

Also, can they garnish any other bank accounts listed under my name since on that specific area I wrote above only lists THAT SPECIFIC BANK?

Another major question I have, which is the most important thing I'm concerned about... can they garnish my current spouses wages or put a lien on his house? He has his own bank account and I have my own. No joint bank accounts. The house is listed only in his name and was acquired during our marriage, but again, the original debt was acquired back in 2001 when I WAS NOT married to him. My personal debt only when I was single.

I am the judgement debtor and the Garnishee is listed as MY BANK that my other car loan is through. Is this the only account that they're trying to go after?

Should I try to settle this with the lawyer? My plan was to try to settle and make some type of payment arrangement. Once we came up to an agreement, I of course would ask for all of it in writing and to have it removed from my report once it is paid off.

Again, my major concerns are can they go after my husband's wages or put a lien on his house if my name is the only name on the original debt and is NOT on his bank account or his house. And if MY BANK listed is the only specific info shown on paperwork, is that all they're going after or can they immediately look into anything else I may have and go after that or do they have to file new paperwork stating the new info?

Please help! I'm stressing out and can't afford to talk or hire a lawyer. I'm struggling living paycheck to paycheck (even that's not enough!) and my only income is my SSDI and retirement disability. Is this income exempt from them garnishing?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I posted this in debt collections, but maybe I should've posted here?

Sorry, this may be long. I have been issued a Notice of Levy Execution Money Judgement. I did not know AT ALL what this was pertaining to, as I haven't had a judgement on my credit report. So after a stressful few days of trying to figure it out... I called the lawyer on the paperwork to find out exactly what this debt was. Turns out that it's from a car repo from back in approximately 2002. From what they've said, they sold the car, I was to pay the remaining balance. Thing is, since that time, I have moved practically every single year or 2 years max at a place and haven't received anything even knowing I had a judgement in the first place. Now since I've called them, I guess I've acknowledged the debt.

The debt has increased double than what the original amount was due to interest. Original amount approximately $8,000 and now $16,000. They're trying to say I can settle for around $14,000 at $845 a month. I am on disabillity due to illness and I haven't worked since 2002. I acquired this debt in 2001 and was divorced at the time. Here's how the paperwork is written... it still has my former name, checkmarked is any and all deposit accounts, safe deposit boxes, monies, credits, rents, effects due or owing the judgement debtor in the possession or under the control of the person, business, firm, association, partnership, corporation or financial institution listed under garnishee. This levy is made in accordance with SEC.700.140 or 700.150 CCP. - MY BANK name listed here. This bank that they listed, is only a bank that I got another car loan on and it also has a savings account that I have never used at all, has a 0 balance and always has. So there is nothing to garnish there. My car loan with this bank is just about to be paid off. Can they take my car now or once it's paid off?

Also, can they garnish any other bank accounts listed under my name since on that specific area I wrote above only lists THAT SPECIFIC BANK?

Another major question I have, which is the most important thing I'm concerned about... can they garnish my current spouses wages or put a lien on his house? He has his own bank account and I have my own. No joint bank accounts. The house is listed only in his name and was acquired during our marriage, but again, the original debt was acquired back in 2001 when I WAS NOT married to him. My personal debt only when I was single.

I am the judgement debtor and the Garnishee is listed as MY BANK that my other car loan is through. Is this the only account that they're trying to go after?

Should I try to settle this with the lawyer? My plan was to try to settle and make some type of payment arrangement. Once we came up to an agreement, I of course would ask for all of it in writing and to have it removed from my report once it is paid off.

Again, my major concerns are can they go after my husband's wages or put a lien on his house if my name is the only name on the original debt and is NOT on his bank account or his house. And if MY BANK listed is the only specific info shown on paperwork, is that all they're going after or can they immediately look into anything else I may have and go after that or do they have to file new paperwork stating the new info?

Please help! I'm stressing out and can't afford to talk or hire a lawyer. I'm struggling living paycheck to paycheck (even that's not enough!) and my only income is my SSDI and retirement disability. Is this income exempt from them garnishing?
SSDI cannot be garnished for consumer debt. Without knowing the source of your retirement disability its hard to say on that. Since your debt was premarital your husband's assets should be safe but do not volunteer any information about your husband to anyone connected with the judgment.

stressedincali

Thank you!

SSDI cannot be garnished for consumer debt. Without knowing the source of your retirement disability its hard to say on that. Since your debt was premarital your husband's assets should be safe but do not volunteer any information about your husband to anyone connected with the judgment.
Thank you! My source of disability is through USPS and I also get SSDI. I have no volunteered any info to the lawyer that is working for the collection agency as far as my husband. The only thing I've told them is I'm limited on income because of disability. They have not once asked me if I'm married or anything since we've communicated. But, since I told them that my income is only disability, they are saying I can let them know my monthly amount I make and list my expenses. I have given them a list of expenses that I simply wrote on paper, not any copies of my bills. Now they've contacted me again saying that I didn't list any utilities or rents and they'll need that so that they can present something to the negotiator of my hardship to either settle for a lower amount and lower payments from what they were wanting. The utilities and mortgage are on my husband's name, so I'm not sure what to even send them? I basically only said insurance, cell phone bill, kids school lunches and groceries. I'm worried they will ask for copies of the utility or rent/mortgage. This is what they're waiting on from me and it's been over a week that I haven't sent it or called. I'm worried that I'm a sitting duck right now! :/

LdiJ

Thank you! My source of disability is through USPS and I also get SSDI. I have no volunteered any info to the lawyer that is working for the collection agency as far as my husband. The only thing I've told them is I'm limited on income because of disability. They have not once asked me if I'm married or anything since we've communicated. But, since I told them that my income is only disability, they are saying I can let them know my monthly amount I make and list my expenses. I have given them a list of expenses that I simply wrote on paper, not any copies of my bills. Now they've contacted me again saying that I didn't list any utilities or rents and they'll need that so that they can present something to the negotiator of my hardship to either settle for a lower amount and lower payments from what they were wanting. The utilities and mortgage are on my husband's name, so I'm not sure what to even send them? I basically only said insurance, cell phone bill, kids school lunches and groceries. I'm worried they will ask for copies of the utility or rent/mortgage. This is what they're waiting on from me and it's been over a week that I haven't sent it or called. I'm worried that I'm a sitting duck right now! :/
Its hard for me to give you much more advice just yet, because I do not know if your USPS disability pension is able to be garnished or not. Hopefully someone else will respond who has that answer. I found some information via googling that indicates that it cannot be garnished for consumer debt, but nothing that I felt was strong enough.

stressedincali

Thank you for trying to help. Hopefully others can chime in on it too. I really don't know who to reach out too and can't afford anyone to help.

I'm worried though, if I should still go fax them some type of written amount that say I "contribute" to help pay for utilities or mortgage. But that may have them question whose bills and mortgage it is and thats way more info I want them to know.

I wrote down my regular small bills on a piece of paper and now they want utilities and rent paid. Is it even possible for me to just say I don't pay anything? They're trying to show I have a hardship so they can bring it to a negotiator to make a settlement offer.

Should i move forward with this part with them?

LdiJ

Thank you for trying to help. Hopefully others can chime in on it too. I really don't know who to reach out too and can't afford anyone to help.

I'm worried though, if I should still go fax them some type of written amount that say I "contribute" to help pay for utilities or mortgage. But that may have them question whose bills and mortgage it is and thats way more info I want them to know.

I wrote down my regular small bills on a piece of paper and now they want utilities and rent paid. Is it even possible for me to just say I don't pay anything? They're trying to show I have a hardship so they can bring it to a negotiator to make a settlement offer.

Should i move forward with this part with them?
I cannot answer that until somehow we find out for sure if your USPS disability pension can be garnished.

stressedincali

Thanks!

Thank you! Do you think it's wise to move forward with them to work out payment arrangements? And should I just say that I don't pay any rent or utilities? Utilities and mortgage are in my spouses name. Thank you!

Proserpina

Thank you! Do you think it's wise to move forward with them to work out payment arrangements? And should I just say that I don't pay any rent or utilities? Utilities and mortgage are in my spouses name. Thank you!

Honestly? I don't think I'd do anything right now. Not until you're absolutely sure of what it is - and get it ALL in writing.

One of the other members here recently almost got scammed by an incredibly convincing attempt to rip her off. Do not agree to anything over the phone, and don't give out any other personal information at all.

stressedincali

I do know what it is. I had a car repoed around 2002 I believe. Apparently they filed a judgement in 2004. I don't recall getting any papers on it, as I've moved probably 11-12 times in these last 13 years. Right before it was set to fall off, they renewed the judgment in August. So now I start over another 10 years. :(

stressedincali

I did get the court papers with the judgement notifying me of the levy on that particular bank account. I don't have any money in it though, never have. That's the only bank of mine that's named on the papers. The bank is listed as the Garnishee.
The other blank papers included in the packet were explanations of exemptions and also wage assignment papers to fill out I'm assuming if I took it to court.
Will they look for and go after my other bank accounts if it's not listed on these papers?
These papers were mailed to me at my current address by the Sheriffs Dept. So they've obviously looked into my addresses because this is a fairly new address.

Proserpina

I do know what it is. I had a car repoed around 2002 I believe. Apparently they filed a judgement in 2004. I don't recall getting any papers on it, as I've moved probably 11-12 times in these last 13 years. Right before it was set to fall off, they renewed the judgment in August. So now I start over another 10 years. :(

Even in California, a debt incurred before the marriage took place generally stays with the debtor - in other words, they can't come after your husband to pay off your debt. What they can do though is try and attach your portion of any community property to pay off the debt.

Standby though for other folk to take a look for you.

stressedincali

Thank you... We don't really have anything together. We have separate bank accounts and no cars with both our names. Absolutely nothing joint. Thank goodness, I think!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">