• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resisting Arrest; Charlena Michelle Cooks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

single317dad

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
Wow:eek:! Just WOW!

(the wage gap exists, and not because "women as a whole needing time off work for child-rearing")
I could -- and have -- argued this point until I am blue in the face. Instead, I'll just leave this here:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/04/14/on-equal-pay-day-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-gender-pay-gap/

Yes, it exists, though it's much smaller than internet memes would have you believe, and closing quickly. Research (actual research! imagine that!) shows that child and family concerns are the primary reason why the gap exists at all.

Wow!

Ladyback1

I could -- and have -- argued this point until I am blue in the face. Instead, I'll just leave this here:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/04/14/on-equal-pay-day-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-gender-pay-gap/

Yes, it exists, though it's much smaller than internet memes would have you believe, and closing quickly. Research (actual research! imagine that!) shows that child and family concerns are the primary reason why the gap exists at all.

Wow!
You are entitled to your opinion, even if I and many others disagree with you.
I was taken aback by what I perceived as a very disparaging and snarky tone in your post.

I'mTheFather

Yeah, those damn women who insist on having kids, then taking time off to care for sick kids and aging parents! They're the problem! :rolleyes:

single317dad

Yeah, those damn women who insist on having kids, then taking time off to care for sick kids and aging parents! They're the problem! :rolleyes:
Who said they were a "problem"? I said child and family care was the primary reason for a wage gap, if any exists. You are assigning emotion to data, not me.

I also said that whose who want equality should want it across the board, not just when it suits them. If that's a problem, I'm not sure we can agree on any resolution.

I'mTheFather

Who said they were a "problem"? I said child and family care was the primary reason for a wage gap, if any exists. You are assigning emotion to data, not me.

I also said that whose who want equality should want it across the board, not just when it suits them. If that's a problem, I'm not sure we can agree on any resolution.
Oh, I think there's plenty of emotion in this post:

I disagree that pregnancy should be treated as a magical "get out of trouble free" card. I have several ultra-progressive friends who regularly lament the wage gap, which, if it exists at all, exists primarily due to women as a whole needing time off work for child-rearing. Those people believe that a woman shouldn't be treated any differently than a man just because she needs to be absent from work for months at a time to birth and raise children. Then those same people, in the same breath, will posit some theory like this, that a pregnant woman should be treated differently in some other situation. Well, which is it? Different or not?

If the takedown is within department guidelines and doesn't unduly threaten the safety of the suspect, I have no problem with it.
Further, your own link to research acknowledges a wage gap, so I don't understand your insistence of "if it exists at all". And who suggested that pregnancy is a "magical get out of trouble free card"??

single317dad

Oh, I think there's plenty of emotion in this post:

Further, your own link to research acknowledges a wage gap, so I don't understand your insistence of "if it exists at all". And who suggested that pregnancy is a "magical get out of trouble free card"??
Nope. Just an opinion laid bare, in response to the statement that pregnant women shouldn't be taken down by police officers.

The gap is relatively small, has been closing for many years, and can sufficiently be explained. I'm not sure there's much more we can do about it short of transplanting wombs to men.

I'mTheFather

Nope. Just an opinion laid bare, in response to the statement that pregnant women shouldn't be taken down by police officers.
I can't find that statement in this thread. I did see something similar, but it included a qualifier.
The gap is relatively small, has been closing for many years, and can sufficiently be explained. I'm not sure there's much more we can do about it short of transplanting wombs to men.
Actually, there's a whole lot more that can be done, but that would require legislation supporting family over business.

Last edited:

I'mTheFather

I'd also like to add, to Cdw and singledad, that I have always appreciated your contributions to the forums, and consider both of you to be valuable members and sources of information and advice.

Unfortunately, I believe that many in this thread have reacted emotionally to the situation in the video, including me, and our competing views simply don't mesh.

single317dad

I'd also like to add, to Cdw and singledad, that I have always appreciated your contributions to the forums, and consider both of you to be valuable members and sources of information and advice.

Unfortunately, I believe that many in this thread have reacted emotionally to the situation in the video, including me, and our competing views simply don't mesh.
Ditto. Most of my friends are either progressive liberals or Fox News conservatives. I end up disagreeing with both groups fairly equally. Doesn't mean we're not friends anymore.

Proserpina

I think I can see where dad is coming from.

It cannot be denied that there is a segment of the population who strongly believe that women and men should be treated equally...sometimes. A man should never hit a woman because... she's a woman, and is therefore weaker and less able to defend against an assault. But except for that, women and men are equal. Sometimes. Except when she's pregnant. Sometimes.

So what is equality without consistency?

Proserpina

What bothers me on this one is taking a pregnant woman to the ground...even if she was being obtuse.

(I believe this is what dad was actually referring to - and yes, that's how it appears to me, too)

It's okay to take down a woman unless she's pregnant?

single317dad

It cannot be denied that there is a segment of the population who strongly believe that women and men should be treated equally...sometimes. A man should never hit a woman because... she's a woman, and is therefore weaker and less able to defend against an assault. But except for that, women and men are equal. Sometimes. Except when she's pregnant. Sometimes.

I should just have you say things in my stead. It would save us all a lot of bickering.

I'mTheFather

The qualifier in that statement is "on this one". At least that's how I viewed it. Perhaps, you two are right that the poster meant all pregnant women all the time.

Proserpina

The qualifier in that statement is "on this one". At least that's how I viewed it. Perhaps, you two are right that the poster meant all pregnant women all the time.
Intolerable semantics warning!

Here's what I got:

What bothers me on this one is taking a pregnant woman to the ground...even if she was being obtuse.
Not "the pregnant woman", or "this pregnant woman in particular"... but "a pregnant woman" which suggests "any pregnant woman".

Semantics aside, it's clear that none of us are going to change the minds of anyone else.

(And I freely admit that was atrocious grammar/sentence structure on my part Also, I'm posting sans coffee)

I'mTheFather

Yep, just as there is a segment of the population who strongly believe that women and men should be treated equally, neither a man nor a woman should strike another, and women are still equal when pregnant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">