• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

advice regarding NY-Suffolk County Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cesca

Legal advice for 83 year old in NY-Suffolk County

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Times New RomanWhat is the name of your state? Long Island-NY-Suffolk County

My quandry is such: I am an 83 year old woman. My son and 2 children (14 & 16 year old boys) are living with me, and have been since the've been born. My son is in divorce proceedings with his ex (whom has abanded all her 4 children but has 2 of them living with her and her boyfriend currently). My son has just informed me that he is leaving the state because of some sort of license issue (keeping a trucking license). With that being said-I know I will be left with the reponsiblity of taking care of the 16 year old, and I'm not sure the fate of the 14 year old because he does not want to live with his mother.

I know this all sounds very convaluted, but my concern is my grandchildren. Is my son abanding them too? What would be the legal remafications if he leaves the state-even if its for only a year? What happens if the children get in trouble (ex: school, out in the street late at nite, etc?). What legal rights do I have-If any? God forbid something happens to me in that year span-What happens?

Please help!!

Last edited:

snostar

The legal responisiblity of these children lies between your son and their mother. You have no rights - the good thing about that is you can't be held liable for their actions.

snostar

Check you PM's, my grandmother (83) lives in East Hampton and is in a very similar situation, which she now is not physically and emotionally able to get out of, even with my help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">