• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can Grandmother really get visitation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sambini

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?TN
My mother-in-law has taken an order of protection out against my husband (her son). I have informed her that if this stands up in court, then I will not be visiting or bringing the kids to visit because this order of protection is based on a pack of lies. The police told my mother-in-law that she can get grandparent visitation with our kids. She is elderly & would not be able to watch my youngest child for long on her own. My husband has a sister (who is behind all of these lies) who is over at my mother-in-laws house a lot & we absolutely do not want our kids over there when the sister or any other family member is present. Can she really get visitation rights or are we not entitled to decide who our kids should be around & influenced by? Is there any way to fight this if she does it?

tigger22472

sambini said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?TN
My mother-in-law has taken an order of protection out against my husband (her son). I have informed her that if this stands up in court, then I will not be visiting or bringing the kids to visit because this order of protection is based on a pack of lies. The police told my mother-in-law that she can get grandparent visitation with our kids. She is elderly & would not be able to watch my youngest child for long on her own. My husband has a sister (who is behind all of these lies) who is over at my mother-in-laws house a lot & we absolutely do not want our kids over there when the sister or any other family member is present. Can she really get visitation rights or are we not entitled to decide who our kids should be around & influenced by? Is there any way to fight this if she does it?
I can't get into my site to look up case law and see how TN rules in these cases but generally GPV can only be done against divorced families or those in which one of the parents are deceased.

THis is the argument against GPV rights as we do have a constutional right to make decisions for our children. Even given the statutes in states, most of them use the word "may" which means it's up to the judge.

The grandmother would have to show that it is beneficial and in the best intrest of the children to maintain visitation with her and that it would be detremental to THE CHILDREN if she did now.

T

titansfan

grandma has no right to visitation

you and your husband DO have the right to decide who can and cant see the kids. as long as you are married, grandma doesnt have a legal standing to sue for visitation. if you were to get a divorce, unless she lifted the protection order, she wouldnt get to see them, because, assuming you got custody, she would be expected to see the kids on dads time.and you may be able to prevent her from seeing them even if she got the order lifted, it would be up to a judge.

leonard rose

what are my grandparent rights

nc law:
my son's child (born out of wedlock) and her mother lived with my wife and myself for a period of about six months. because of actions by the mother, she was compelled to move out of our house and our son and grandchild went with her. She said that we would never see our grandchild again. Our son moved back with us for a couple if monhs. He has since moved back with the mother of our grandchild. She will still will not allow me to see the grandchild, although she will allow my wife to see the grandchild. What are my legal rights as to visitation of my granddaughter?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">