• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a grandparent do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Leslie50

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut
My daughter lives with her Mom and grandmother. Grandma owns the home. Does she have the right to kick my daughter out of the house? My daughter is 16yrs old. Does grandma have the right to pack up my daughter's belongings and drop her off somewhere else?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut
My daughter lives with her Mom and grandmother. Grandma owns the home. Does she have the right to kick my daughter out of the house? My daughter is 16yrs old. Does grandma have the right to pack up my daughter's belongings and drop her off somewhere else?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Why would she do that?

Why isn't Mom doing anything about it?

Isis1

Nope. Unless grandma has custodial rights, she cannot throw a minor out of the minor's home. Not without BOTH parents consent.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why haven't you taken YOUR minor child into your home or sued for emergency custody of YOUR minor child?

ecmst12

Even both parents together can't throw a 16 year old out on the street.

Grandma CAN evict mom AND child, and it will be up to mom to find a suitable home for both of them.

mistoffolees

Even both parents together can't throw a 16 year old out on the street.

Grandma CAN evict mom AND child, and it will be up to mom to find a suitable home for both of them.
I would LOVE to hear the background on this one. I'm sure it's a doozy.

nextwife

Agreed. Grandma is not legally obligated to provide free housing, or even paid housing to her adult daughter and any kids that adult child may have. She can legally evict mom and her minor child. Grandma certainly can kick them out if she uses the legal process required.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">