• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

concern for grand baby

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nicole251

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My 17 year old daughter gave birth to my granddaughter on 8/22/11. My daughter has since decided to not return to school her senior year. The child's father is failing out of school, never finished 11 th grade. My daughter has taken the baby and left because she no longer wants to obey the rules of my house, which is you must go to school. They are staying at whoever's house they can. Can I seek temporary custody of my grand baby. My daughter has run away several times over the past year since getting with this boy. I want my daughter to come home, take care of her baby safely and finish school but if she chooses not to, I want to make sure the baby is safe. Neither has a job. I have spoken to my daughter's school and was told they can drop her from role if she is absent more the 10 consecutive days. She is almost there. I no longer speak to this boy becuase I found out he was being verbally abusive to my daughter. I'm scared for my daughter and my grand baby. The school and family court tell me there is nothing I can do since she is 17. This can't be right!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My 17 year old daughter gave birth to my granddaughter on 8/22/11. My daughter has since decided to not return to school her senior year. The child's father is failing out of school, never finished 11 th grade. My daughter has taken the baby and left because she no longer wants to obey the rules of my house, which is you must go to school. They are staying at whoever's house they can. Can I seek temporary custody of my grand baby. My daughter has run away several times over the past year since getting with this boy. I want my daughter to come home, take care of her baby safely and finish school but if she chooses not to, I want to make sure the baby is safe. Neither has a job. I have spoken to my daughter's school and was told they can drop her from role if she is absent more the 10 consecutive days. She is almost there. I no longer speak to this boy becuase I found out he was being verbally abusive to my daughter. I'm scared for my daughter and my grand baby. The school and family court tell me there is nothing I can do since she is 17. This can't be right!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Instead of trying to get custody of your granddaughter, why don't you get your daughter home?

She's 17.

Nicole251

I've tried too many times to count

I have talked/ explained/ yelled/ reasoned/ pleaded with my daughter to stop these antics. She is more concerned about hanging with this boy then building a future for herself and her daughter. She's in 12th grade and wants to quit. Come to find out, they had an argument where he said she was a bad mom for wanting to go to school instead of being with her daughter. And the sad part is that my daughter is listening to this BS. She'll come home for a while, say she will do better then she takes her baby and is gone for days.. His family provides nothing for the baby and neither of them have a job. They think this is a game. They baby is only 3 weeks old and the weather is changing quickly. I want them may daughter and the baby to be safe and come home but if she refuses, I'm not going to fight her and she has become confrontational if I stand in her way. I won't do that in front of my grand baby. She's throwing her life away and putting the baby at risk. I just want to know if I have a legal standing?

Proserpina

I have talked/ explained/ yelled/ reasoned/ pleaded with my daughter to stop these antics. She is more concerned about hanging with this boy then building a future for herself and her daughter. She's in 12th grade and wants to quit. Come to find out, they had an argument where he said she was a bad mom for wanting to go to school instead of being with her daughter. And the sad part is that my daughter is listening to this BS. She'll come home for a while, say she will do better then she takes her baby and is gone for days.. His family provides nothing for the baby and neither of them have a job. They think this is a game. They baby is only 3 weeks old and the weather is changing quickly. I want them may daughter and the baby to be safe and come home but if she refuses, I'm not going to fight her and she has become confrontational if I stand in her way. I won't do that in front of my grand baby. She's throwing her life away and putting the baby at risk. I just want to know if I have a legal standing?

If you think the baby is genuinely at risk, contact child services. They will investigate. Because that's the ONLY way you're going to have a shot at custody.

Parenting your daughter, on the other hand, is something you can do right now.

Hot Topic

First you said she decided not to return to school her senior year. Then you said she was in school her senior year but wanted to quit.

She must be getting things from the baby from somewhere.

The idea that you don't want to get into some kind of confrontation in front of the baby is ridiculous.

The battle is between you and your daughter. The baby and boyfriend are only sidebars.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">