• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court order now gone?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

padova689

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Okay so my sister is a drug addict and has lost custody of her child. He is 7 years old and is now living with his father who has only met him 3 times, and owes 18k in child support. Before this happened and while dyfs was involved my parents were cleared to have sleepovers every other weekend by a judge. My question is, does this court order stay in place now that he is with his father and not my sister? We raised him from the day he came home from the hospital and now the father has only let us see him once and he supervised it himself for a half hour then left. What can my parents do legally here? This is just not right that a man can come 7 years later take over and keep him from us.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Okay so my sister is a drug addict and has lost custody of her child. He is 7 years old and is now living with his father who has only met him 3 times, and owes 18k in child support. Before this happened and while dyfs was involved my parents were cleared to have sleepovers every other weekend by a judge. My question is, does this court order stay in place now that he is with his father and not my sister? We raised him from the day he came home from the hospital and now the father has only let us see him once and he supervised it himself for a half hour then left. What can my parents do legally here? This is just not right that a man can come 7 years later take over and keep him from us.
If the father has a court order that orders him to provide visitation to the childs grandparents then he must obay it. From the wording of your post I would say that he does not. Be respectful and nice and perhaps Dad will allow visits.

I have to ask...If you and the GP's were caring for this child from the day he came home from the hospital....How did DYFS come into the picture?

padova689

If the father has a court order that orders him to provide visitation to the childs grandparents then he must obay it. From the wording of your post I would say that he does not. Be respectful and nice and perhaps Dad will allow visits.

I have to ask...If you and the GP's were caring for this child from the day he came home from the hospital....How did DYFS come into the picture?
The court order was from Dyfs im guessing. As she didnt have full custody and we had to be approved for the sleepovers which we were. Dyfs became involved when my nephews father went to jail for child support. The next day he was out there was an "anonymous call". From that eventually my nephew was taken because my sister failed a drug test. We have always been on good terms with him. We are all nice to him. When the word came down he was going to his father his father actually called us, said he wants us in his life he knows we raised him and all that. Now 3 weeks are by he doesnt answer the calls. Can my parents petition for visits? For that matter could i? Being his uncle

LdiJ

The court order was from Dyfs im guessing. As she didnt have full custody and we had to be approved for the sleepovers which we were. Dyfs became involved when my nephews father went to jail for child support. The next day he was out there was an "anonymous call". From that eventually my nephew was taken because my sister failed a drug test. We have always been on good terms with him. We are all nice to him. When the word came down he was going to his father his father actually called us, said he wants us in his life he knows we raised him and all that. Now 3 weeks are by he doesnt answer the calls. Can my parents petition for visits? For that matter could i? Being his uncle
Your parents might be able to file for visitation, but you could not. Also, I think that maybe you are seriously jumping the gun. Its only been 3 weeks. You are not giving dad and the child enough time to adjust.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">