• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody After Mother's Death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ruthie4903

What is the name of your state?I currently reside in Wisconsin. My son's father and I never married. We share custody of my son but I have primary placement (the father has secondary). We never wrote up a parenting plan and the father more-or-less sees his son 1-2 days a week. My son and I currently live with my parents and I am wondering if it would be beneficial for me to make a will in the event of my death. My son's father has depression and other anger/emotional issues, but is otherwise (on paper), fit to care for my son. However, while I pray that I will not die before my son is grown (he's only 12 months now), if I were to, can I state in a will or other document that I would like primary placement of my son to be with my parents (with my son's father still having visitation). I imagine my son's father would want placement of my son in such an event, but I am fearful of what this would do to my son's emotional development and overall well-being. What can I do? Thanks so much for any help!

You can email me with any comments/suggestions at [email protected] or post them on here.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You can't will kids. Unless Dad can be proven unfit after your passing, he'll be first in line for custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">