• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

custody of grandson

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jwjett

What is the name of your state?undefined
South Carolina

I have a daughter-in-law who does not work, she uses illegal drugs in the home with my grandson, she does not teach my grandson anything during the day - his day is spent watching videos, or watching her smoke or play a video game. She has strange men in the house or takes my grandson with her when she goes to visit them in a neighboring town. She constantly looks for ways to leave the child with other people. She obviously has not bonded with this beautiful child. Her parents are fairly wealthy. I believe that my daughter-in-law's mother loves this little boy as much as I do. However, she is an alcoholic, has had several DWIs, and loses consciousness without realizing it. She would probably love to adopt the child also. I am looking for the best situation and environment for the grandchild. My son and my daughter-in-law are currently married, but are very unhappy. My son works 60 hours/week. He commutes 1 hour to and from work. I think he would like to get a divorce, but doesn't know if he should. I know that he and my grandson have bonded, but my son does not spend near enough time with the child. My son is young, and I think that he is infatuated with another woman. This whole situation worries me because everybody seems to be concerned about themselves, and not this wonderful little two year old boy. Is there anything that my husband and I could do to get temporary custody, or even a legal guardianship? There is probably lots more that I could tell you, but I'll just wait to see what your response is and what specific questions you may have. Thank you.

LdiJ

jwjett said:
What is the name of your state?undefined
South Carolina

I have a daughter-in-law who does not work, she uses illegal drugs in the home with my grandson, she does not teach my grandson anything during the day - his day is spent watching videos, or watching her smoke or play a video game. She has strange men in the house or takes my grandson with her when she goes to visit them in a neighboring town. She constantly looks for ways to leave the child with other people. She obviously has not bonded with this beautiful child. Her parents are fairly wealthy. I believe that my daughter-in-law's mother loves this little boy as much as I do. However, she is an alcoholic, has had several DWIs, and loses consciousness without realizing it. She would probably love to adopt the child also. I am looking for the best situation and environment for the grandchild. My son and my daughter-in-law are currently married, but are very unhappy. My son works 60 hours/week. He commutes 1 hour to and from work. I think he would like to get a divorce, but doesn't know if he should. I know that he and my grandson have bonded, but my son does not spend near enough time with the child. My son is young, and I think that he is infatuated with another woman. This whole situation worries me because everybody seems to be concerned about themselves, and not this wonderful little two year old boy. Is there anything that my husband and I could do to get temporary custody, or even a legal guardianship? There is probably lots more that I could tell you, but I'll just wait to see what your response is and what specific questions you may have. Thank you.
In order to get custody or guardianship you would have to prove BOTH parents legally unfit. That means your son too.

Shay-Pari'e

Do they want to turn the child over to you? You will need a lot more than what you posted, and you would need proof.

First thing you need to do is BUTT OUT, it is not your child and clearly has a mother and father. We can't just believe she is doing drugs, you seem to find fault with everyone in your post. You have not stated any abuse you can prove.

jwjett

And so what do I do? I'm not playing favorites here. I am most concerned about the protection of the child.

jwjett

I am not choosing sides with my son or my daughter-in-law. Neither of them is thinking about the best interest of their child. I would do whatever is best for my grandson. I would like to know, however, if I should report the illegal drug use to someone official? :confused:

LdiJ

jwjett said:
I am not choosing sides with my son or my daughter-in-law. Neither of them is thinking about the best interest of their child. I would do whatever is best for my grandson. I would like to know, however, if I should report the illegal drug use to someone official? :confused:
Unless you have hard, cold evidence it would be a stupid move. The only result would be that NEITHER of them would allow you to see the child anymore.

Please understand..you cannot obtain custody of your grandchild without being able to legally prove BOTH parents unfit. That means not just poor parenting...but seriously unfit...and again, you have to be able to PROVE it. You can't just accuse and hope that the courts will prove it for you...it doesn't work that way. Have either of them been recently arrested for drug issues, child abuse or neglect? If not...then you CANNOT prove it.

jwjett

Thanks for the advice. I understand and even though this is hard to watch, I am just going to enjoy the weekend visits with the child, pray for all of them, and for the safety of the child. God bless you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">