• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody of my grandchild

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alval

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas. We have raised our grandson for the past 8 years. The mother has done nothing she only works and is always on the phone. We take care of everything from feeding him, homework, taking him to school, bath, doctor and everything that a child needs. We need to see if we can get custody of him. Since the mother is going out with different men. How can we keep him to give him a good stable life.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You've (willingly) baby-sat your grandchild for 8 years. What makes you think you have any more right than, say, a day-care center?

You say that you provide insurance. How do you do that without having custody? Have you TOLD the insurance company that you don't have custody of this child?

davew128

We need to see if we can get custody of him. Since the mother is going out with different men.
Mother has the right to socialize with different men. She also has the right to be promiscuous with other men. As long as she isn't grossly incompetent as a parent you have no right to interfere.

Hot Topic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas. We have raised our grandson for the past 8 years. The mother has done nothing she only works and is always on the phone. We take care of everything from feeding him, homework, taking him to school, bath, doctor and everything that a child needs. We need to see if we can get custody of him. Since the mother is going out with different men. How can we keep him to give him a good stable life.
The mother "only" works and is "always on the phone." How do you know she's always on the phone? And dating is bad?

You sound like greedy, grasping losers. A child isn't a prize that you win for living up to YOUR standards.

Digger206

It's possible.

First, does the child's mother live in your household ?

Where is the Father of the child ?

Those things need to be known first.

Before a Grandparent can gain custody of the child, usually the Father will be considered first.

More information is needed.

Antigone*

It's possible.

Before a Grandparent can gain custody of the child, usually the Father will be considered first.

Really, because mom is always on the phone and is dating other men. :rolleyes:

Based on the information give to us by the OP, I think NOT.

CSO286

It's possible.

*eyebrow*

There is nothing OP posted that would give even the slightest bit of hope they could take this child away from his/her mother.

Digger. go read a bit more, type a bit less, hmm?

Digger206

*eyebrow*

There is nothing OP posted that would give even the slightest bit of hope they could take this child away from his/her mother.

Digger. go read a bit more, type a bit less, hmm?
I never suggested there was any hope. I'm looking at the family dynamics, so they can be told NO, if that's the answer.

That really depends on whether the Mother wants to be "unsaddled" with the kid.

I didn't read into it that they want to take the kid away from the Mother, maybe just establish custody with them so Mom can run around and they can attend to his needs without maybe waiting for Mom to be involved, if she's too busy with her personal life.

I've seen these situations time and again. I would never suggest a means by which a Grandparent could yank a child out of his parent's custody. I just think there may be a bit more to this story, that's why I asked.

It's my belief that these folks (many of them, anyway) come to forums like this with real problems and nowhere to turn. I seriously don't think they expect to be insulted, ridiculed, and called names.

I've read enough in my 24 years plus working in the legal arena. Thank you for the tip, though.

At the end of the day, if the poster is full of it, I'll be one of those who point it out.

Last edited:

Antigone*

I didn't read into it that they want to take the kid away from the Mother, maybe just establish custody with them so Mom can run around and they can attend to his needs without maybe waiting for Mom to be involved, if she's too busy with her personal life.

I've seen these situations time and again. I would never suggest a means by which a Grandparent could yank a child out of his parent's custody. I just think there may be a bit more to this story, that's why I asked.

It's my belief that these folks (many of them, anyway) come to forums like this with real problems and nowhere to turn. I seriously don't think they expect to be insulted, ridiculed, and called names.

I've read enough in my 24 years plus working in the legal arena. Thank you for the tip, though.

At the end of the day, if the poster is full of it, I'll be one of those who point it out.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I'll add a few more for Pro, that darn lent thing she's doing.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just Blue

Are you an attorney? If not...What "legal arena" do you work in?

CSO286

I never suggested there was any hope. I'm looking at the family dynamics, so they can be told NO, if that's the answer.

Since you've got less than ten posts for anyone to form an opinion about you on, please tell me you what your experience in the legal arena consists of?

Digger206

Since you've got less than ten posts for anyone to form an opinion about you on, please tell me you what your experience in the legal arena consists of?
And, I'm sure at one point, you had less than 10 posts as well. Does that make your opinion or assessment of a question any less credible and viable than mine or anyone else's ?

What is it with you "long-timers" jumping on new people who would like to participate and maybe help guide somebody along ?

So far, most of the replies I've read from those with over 3,000 plus posts are very insulting, demeaning, and counter-productive. I think these OP's are looking for real answers, even if those answers don't tell them what they want to hear.

Lighten up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">